Unboxing the Nano from CO Brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Where do you find how to calibrate temp? My PID shows 209 at boiling and I need to add 3 degrees to it.

Where do you find how to calibrate temp? My PID shows 209 at boiling and I need to add 3 degrees to it.

Look at the Auberins web site for PID 2632 I think. They have a manual.

But my boil is @ 207 so it might be correct. You should cross check with a thermometer you know to work. Or calibrate to zero with ice water. IIRC Thermapen recommends calibrating to zero because boiling varies.

My thought was to calibrate to 150F because that's the center of the range we care about. Boiling you can detect by eye, and for the boiling step isn't it typical to switch to manual mode anyway? In the manufacturer's video, I think he set power to 100% to get to a boil, then backed it down to 60% to maintain it.

That made sense to me. I don't care if my boiling point is 212 or 209, I just care that it *is* boiling.

Boiling varies depending on atmospheric pressure. Check what it should be at the average pressure for where you live -- 209 might be correct for you.

Mine should be 212. My grain bed temp and PID are about 3 degrees different so I think if I would bump it up 3 degrees I would be pretty close to mash temp.

Mine should be 212. My grain bed temp and PID are about 3 degrees different so I think if I would bump it up 3 degrees I would be pretty close to mash temp.

Mine should theoretically be 212 also but both my nano system and my old system boiled at 209/210.

So do you add 3 degrees to your mash temp? I would think if you were off at the top you would probably be off at mash temp.

So do you add 3 degrees to your mash temp? I would think if you were off at the top you would probably be off at mash temp.

The key is adjusting the PID to be accurate either using ice water or an already adjusted source. Boiling is not always 212 so it isn't the best way to calibrate. Now that I've calibrated I can set the PID for my exact mash temp and let it do the work.

Are you asking me this? No. Boiling as has already explained doesn't occur exactly at 212. its based on your location (altitude above sea level is the determeing factor.) If I adjust it to 212 then my mash temps would be off 3 degrees. My mash temps as measured with my thermapen are almost dead on as I said. (+/- .5 degrees once the mash has enough rise time)

Would someone be willing to post pics of the whirlpool/mash recirc device that came with their system? I am going to make my own and want to try and get it right the first time.

Would someone be willing to post pics of the whirlpool/mash recirc device that came with their system? I am going to make my own and want to try and get it right the first time.

The clip for attaching to the kettle/basket is not included in those pics, but if you come up with a better idea for that, please share!

Anyone- I may have missed it on this thread- what is the 'best' way to affix the whirlpool arm to the rim? Mine came without the screw. I bought a thumbscrew, and it works OK, not great.

The clip for attaching to the kettle/basket is not included in those pics, but if you come up with a better idea for that, please share!

Anyone- I may have missed it on this thread- what is the 'best' way to affix the whirlpool arm to the rim? Mine came without the screw. I bought a thumbscrew, and it works OK, not great.

I have been trying to figure that out also. I currently am using a long/tall recirculation arm, attached to a 4" heavy duty spring clamp via a 1" worm gear clamp. I've talked to NorCal, and looked all over, but there doesn't seem to be any easy/cheep way to make a nice looking adjustable fitting, so this works for now.
Here's a pic before I use the worm gear clamp to attach it (using extra spring clamps in this pic). see upper right of picture:
l5q4hevHr_YcmEf2bPT_RT6mopHTS7IT0heC18-jQ49RU84-BYFsv_WLxXsFkus0GnTQkA2D6w_7z2oA12FnvjDZpsp5yZHRNKEugENky0OXUvg1L6yPg13iZaMN4veHh5J9at_yyWxqOMrE100p7SxWPpxzUoGuGGpEClMXEvU3lz7LtvbFYke83Pa3yt529c4WoYxOx1DwZQD-MuxelovOdP9hakOsiLbitTKjwAnHQm-uTQTgM_7FClrOao0YPjtOY2eN_bvqDuqlzud3OmFeajs4Gdc_KSrz1su4NvUfB6iM4omhP5GGulRvgsyuOan5Iv9_ZfXRU2L-hRRdaSYt9MkhvPME-oCnvdtDnco665ODyZ5UrIrCh2UMpR0wkLgWlURDFoANPsxwy99wEicXhYtYzZUdn6PcadHIORdfHlpm9Uy8zlqtSmMAYdUAC54SDmhpaft7S2CHkFvwiXL_NomKlCiNFqd8KwvSmv8CeETc9uOasStRsDpQykbbby-Bu8t0U1yKCdTHZrY3S-iXJh3wNpe-0RPMJ2zHouhvI20GCSjlhNhGh0dbjQjuPPDbxNgeGiPB-JOuWYS9kUQ7Lj-1VoQ=w484-h861-no

Ive been attaching mine to my hop spider because yes I find it very difficult if not impossible to attach to the side of the kettle but this is working quite well for me

13709892_602399213253784_2080795892020619777_n.jpg

Brew day number 2 went perfect until my buddy tipped a conical over that was full of beer. But the brew day went well and we still have 5 gallons left.

I was thinking of soldering to a spring clamp actually. My kettle is 19 in tall. How far down shout the arm extend for whirlpool and mash circulation? My thoughts are different heights so making the clamp connection adjustable would be helpful.

FINALLY getting moved into my house. Need to run power, GFCI, vent, water (all existing PEX thank god), order some misc tri-clamp pieces and I should be good to go. Over the winter I may get crazy and cut into the floor and install a longitudinal drain where the brewery resides. Currently it's back in the corner behind the furnace.

13912564_10155080387088662_4162988566367648519_n.jpg

13907056_10155080387048662_7286687798066365707_n.jpg

13923593_10155080386998662_4092773421481802138_o.jpg

I do wish I had a drain in the floor directly beneath mine, there is one in the room but water does not flow to it naturally.
Yeah for now it will be drip trays and a hose directly to the drain when chilling. I am using a 3 way valve so no hose changes will be needed. Shouldn't have much mess other than the basket drippings

Yeah for now it will be drip trays and a hose directly to the drain when chilling. I am using a 3 way valve so no hose changes will be needed. Shouldn't have much mess other than the basket drippings

When I was running my chugger I would have probably opted for the three way eventually. Now though I don't think its necessary with the way the pump is attached directly at the output. After I pump to conical I just blow the reminder in the line back into the kettle through the pump. Remove the short hose and run a long hose to my drain for cleaning and such. I could even just run the long hose all the time but my thougts are kinda the hsorter the hose during mash the better

When I was running my chugger I would have probably opted for the three way eventually. Now though I don't think its necessary with the way the pump is attached directly at the output. After I pump to conical I just blow the reminder in the line back into the kettle through the pump. Remove the short hose and run a long hose to my drain for cleaning and such. I could even just run the long hose all the time but my thougts are kinda the hsorter the hose during mash the better
Part of me wishes I had kept that pump and given it a try. For as low as the stand is, it makes perfect sense to go that route now that I think it through and see your pics. I still plan to raise my stand up a foot or so and mount the pump/chiller under it

Part of me wishes I had kept that pump and given it a try. For as low as the stand is, it makes perfect sense to go that route now that I think it through and see your pics. I still plan to raise my stand up a foot or so and mount the pump/chiller under it

Ive run three brew days through it and so far it seems to work well but get with me in a year. At this point I'm still glad I have a backup.

That's basically what I did. Raised the kettle up 12" and the pump/chiller stand up 6". If I did it again I could easily go 18" on the stand.

So that little brushless pump that they sent us is a total POS. I've used it for less than an hour and it's already fried. I was sending my wort through my chiller and all of a sudden it just stopped pumping.

So that little brushless pump that they sent us is a total POS. I've used it for less than an hour and it's already fried. I was sending my wort through my chiller and all of a sudden it just stopped pumping.

did it stop altogether or just stop stop pumping? I have had a few minors issues when it wouldn't pump but it was airlocked. I had to shut it down close the valve and reopen the valve turn the pump back on. It was still running just wasn't pumping fyi. If it just died that's a different story. Tim assured me they would stand behind it so contact them asap if youre having a problem

It died altogether. I plugged it in this morning just to make sure and it's dead. Had to deuce over to my regular pump during cool down was not easy either. I had no shutoff between the pump and my kettle so I had very poor flow through the little pump. I am gonna email Tim and see what my options would be. I really wish the pump that was supposed to come with the unit is available.

Man that sucks. I guess being an early adaptor paid off for me. Tim will make it right though he is good people.

He already emailed me back. It's covered under warranty so we'll see if the 2nd one holds up better than the 1st.

I think I am going to pull the trigger today... 20 gal size, 240V, with the whirlpool port.

I see now they have a touchscreen option for an extra $400. Now I like gadgets, but that would have to be pretty amazing to feel like it was worth the dough. I don't see any details about it on the site.

Those of you who have ordered, any tips? Tweaks you wish you asked for?

I think I am going to pull the trigger today... 20 gal size, 240V, with the whirlpool port.

I see now they have a touchscreen option for an extra $400. Now I like gadgets, but that would have to be pretty amazing to feel like it was worth the dough. I don't see any details about it on the site.

Those of you who have ordered, any tips? Tweaks you wish you asked for?

As cool as the touch screen is..no thanks imho. give me a good ole fashioned switch to keep it simple. That said thank god for a PID. I been pretty happy with mine so far. I think I would like for them to include a better way to attach the recirc arm to the kettle to whirlpool but that's not something they are gonna one off for you. You can get an additional port with a recirc fitting though. I wish there were a few add ons like I personally would like something that attahces to the other upright on mine that would hold my phone or a ipad etc that AND a hook for the lid which I never know what to do with and pretty much never use.

Here's a video of the touchscreen.

http://www.cobrewingsystems.com/pages/video

I had assumed it was just a touchscreen version of the PID controller, but it lets you put in mash step temps and times, and it will handle adjusting the temperature for each automatically. You can also add hop steps and get a buzzer to remind you about the next addition.

While you certainly don't need the touchscreen, being able to do multiple mash steps automagically would be a nice convenience.

It's still pretty darn expensive.

edit: aaaaand, I just ordered the 20 gallon version, with the touchscreen. Sucker for gadgets, I am.

Here's a video of the touchscreen.

http://www.cobrewingsystems.com/pages/video

I had assumed it was just a touchscreen version of the PID controller, but it lets you put in mash step temps and times, and it will handle adjusting the temperature for each automatically. You can also add hop steps and get a buzzer to remind you about the next addition.

While you certainly don't need the touchscreen, being able to do multiple mash steps automagically would be a nice convenience.

It's still pretty darn expensive.

edit: aaaaand, I just ordered the 20 gallon version, with the touchscreen. Sucker for gadgets, I am.

Its a pretty cool gadget I admit. If I was doing a commercial setup it would be a must have I will admit that

The touchscreen controller also has support for automating water additions. The Nano Home doesn't have the hardware like their bigger systems, but Tim said that you can add on a 24V solenoid and a water meter with pulse output. Totally unnecessary... but totally cool.

I'll be installing automated water. Got a set up off Ebay for $45 shipped, we'll see how well it works. The touchscreen wasn't an option when I ordered, if it was I'd have definitely went for it.

Mashed in the first wheat beer I've done in mine. Definitely a different experience. I did the sac rest and added 6 oz of rice hulls and while it is recirculating its doing it very slowly compared to the ales I have been doing. Really gotta pay attention to it and I did quite a bit of stirring at first . I'm trying to let it do its thing now and checking it every 3 or 4 mins. I am noticing that it does have a harder time holding temp with the recirc running slower with "wilder" swings but nothing too bad. its seems like its really just a matter of letting it find its equilibrium so to speak for each batch them it will just run.

Back