Unboxing the Nano from CO Brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had a similar thought so I tried to find a large stainless steel ruler. It turns out they aren't easy to find without cork on the back and without ink for numbers.

I know this is late - but you could try a stainless carpenter square - Stanley makes a bunch that are just engraved/stamped, no ink. Cold just cut off the short side...

Quick report on batch #4 and the first 10g batch. I picked a petite saison recipe I have brewed before. After scaling to 10g it ended up 16.5 lbs in grains and 6 oz of hops. I put my mill back to .039 and this time I tried conditioning the grains a bit. I also added 4 handfuls of soaked rice hulls since I had 1.75 lbs of wheat. I used 15.25g of water in a full volume mash and treated according to Bru'n Water. I mashed at 149 for 90 minutes even though I read a recent test showing low temp mash might not have a huge impact.

First the bad. My numbers are still terrible. I'm not even sure how the OG reading I got could be correct. It seems my pH meter is dirty or broken so I wasn't able to confirm mash pH. My readings for pre boil seemed accurate. I'm also not hitting volume estimates. I think with 10g I might want to bump the trub from .5 to 1g. I will post pictures in another post where you can see the extra trub. Another side note on the negative side, the wort was very "dirty". I'm not sure why. I've used rice hulls and wheat before and never seen something like this. But that isn't the fault of the system. Finally, I'm taking way too long with these sessions. Hopefully this gets better with time.

Now the good. The recirc on the mash worked. I think having a full 10g batch will help. But I'm still not sure how to "best" recirc. I started with no hose and the mash flowed but didn't whirlpool. I added a hose and tried to adjust the depth. I could get a whirlpool but it seemed to be just the top portion. If the hose was put deeper then no action on the top. I assumed the wort was then just going right down thru the mesh. But it wasn't stuck and it drained well. I also did a decent job on the volumes but not perfect. The chill plate seemed to be working well again once I went back to the normal routine. Finally, I bought a few connectors from Bobby and my cleaning process to a big turn for the good. I was able to hook my garden hose right up to the pump which was still hooked up to the chill plate. This allowed me to flush both into the driveway. I also got some tri-clover caps from Bobby and this made cleaning the kettle a bit easier.

FWIW, I racked my 3rd batch (a big American stout) to a secondary to try and clean it a bit. The sample I took tasted amazing. The 2nd batch (Yoopers 60 min IPA) also tastes great even though I have debris. To be fair I think the improved tastes are due to me finally getting a handle on the data from Brun Water. But maybe having mash temp control is a factor too.

OK, if I have energy I will post the pictures later.

Quick summary of the pictures. Conditioned grains with new mill setting. Shots of the mash during and after with the hose. Quick picture of the dirty mash. Wide picture showing all the hoses for climbing. Quick photo of final volume. Then one image of the connector used to flush the chiller and pump.

View attachment 1462748629831.jpg

View attachment 1462748646853.jpg

View attachment 1462748659549.jpg

View attachment 1462748675380.jpg

View attachment 1462748688854.jpg

View attachment 1462748700532.jpg

View attachment 1462748715896.jpg

Dirty mashes settle out, so I don't think that will be much of a factor. I BIAB, so your crush looks enormous, but this is the size you need to make the pumps function?

I'm curious to know how things taste as this s my long term "goal" system - perhaps I'll need to buy to different pot size. One for 10 gallons and one for 5 gallon batches...

Dirty mashes settle out, so I don't think that will be much of a factor. I BIAB, so your crush looks enormous, but this is the size you need to make the pumps function?

I'm curious to know how things taste as this s my long term "goal" system - perhaps I'll need to buy to different pot size. One for 10 gallons and one for 5 gallon batches...

The crush does look insanely big but 039 shouldn't be all that bad. I think factory default is 035. My last crush was 031 and that caused issues. This was the first time I tried spraying the grain with water so maybe that is part of why it looks that way.

One observation that I forgot is I'm not sure how I could manage a fully indoor brew day. A 20g pot just seems too big for a normal sink. I suppose you'd need good planning for the work area. My area is good but I never planned for cleaning a large kettle.

New brewery was waiting at the front door Friday!
All components look to be present and accounted for, and the box looked to be in comparatively better shape (though it is much smaller than the full nano system).
Kettle welds look extremely clean (didn't get a close-up). Fitting welds look OK- I think they will be fine.
Finished my brew stand over the weekend since I finally had the kettle in hand. A few more controller items to clean up, and I should be brewing before end of week.
Will post pictures of testing and first brew.
fOiDtLR.jpg

hryNgAz.jpg

prPufDg.jpg

52mzC0q.jpg

I was just headed out the door to work when I saw this pop up. Had to stop and admire! Looking forward to seeing it all put together and brewing on your new stand.

Just in case anyone had the same issue I did:

One of the screws that holds the mash recirc fitting onto the side of the basket was missing in my system. I'm guessing it fell off in the box and got lost somewhere, but one way or another, I only had one. Turns out it's a #10-32 machine screw with a round combo head, 1/2" length (although longer or a little shorter would work fine).

Just in case anyone had the same issue I did:

One of the screws that holds the mash recirc fitting onto the side of the basket was missing in my system. I'm guessing it fell off in the box and got lost somewhere, but one way or another, I only had one. Turns out it's a #10-32 machine screw with a round combo head, 1/2" length (although longer or a little shorter would work fine).

Yes! Thank you. I figured this was missing- it sits on the pot lip so well that I couldn't tell. Definitely want something to secure it better.

Why are there two clamps between the valve and the kettle? Is that a small spacer in between them?

That's actually the super nifty pickup tube fitting. You thread it through the pot TC connection and the first clamp is to secure that. The second clamp secures the fitting to the valve. It looks (and will function) like 2 pieces, but the pickup can be easily unclamped and independently removed. If you didn't want the pickup fitting, you could do valve -> pot with a single clamp.

If that explanation is hard to follow I can get a pic if you'd like.

That's actually the super nifty pickup tube fitting. You thread it through the pot TC connection and the first clamp is to secure that. The second clamp secures the fitting to the valve. It looks (and will function) like 2 pieces, but the pickup can be easily unclamped and independently removed. If you didn't want the pickup fitting, you could do valve -> pot with a single clamp.

If that explanation is hard to follow I can get a pic if you'd like.

A picture would be awesome. Is it possible to remove the pickup tube without disconnecting the valve from the pot? It almost sounds like the pickup tube is threaded into the fitting in between the pot and the valve?

New brewery was waiting at the front door Friday!

All components look to be present and accounted for, and the box looked to be in comparatively better shape (though it is much smaller than the full nano system).

Kettle welds look extremely clean (didn't get a close-up). Fitting welds look OK- I think they will be fine.

Finished my brew stand over the weekend since I finally had the kettle in hand. A few more controller items to clean up, and I should be brewing before end of week.

Will post pictures of testing and first brew.

fOiDtLR.jpg

hryNgAz.jpg

prPufDg.jpg

52mzC0q.jpg

Great stuff when you going to brew?

Great stuff when you going to brew?
SOON!!!!
Since the kettle came in I was able to build my stand over the weekend. Did some more wiring work yesterday and today and I'm almost good to go. Planning to finish my controller and do a water test tonight!
zWPYNL7.jpg

Thank you for sharing! Did you think it would be possible to do a ~40 lb batch or would that make the mash too thick? I make huge beers occasionally so was curious about maximum capacity, but that may mean a 5 gal batch instead of 10. :mug:
You could also try a double mash on your huge beers, the increase is fairly linear with subsequent mashes.

I did a lot of research and have been brewing for years. CBS seemed to fit the way I want to brew and is the most flexible system I could find.I placed my order two days ago for a 20g Nano. Unless I go pro or open a tap house someday this is it for me I think. Very exciting stuff. :D

@jcav you been e-stalking me? :p

Yeah I am excited, my inventory is low, I haven't brewed in months

Ha Ha!! That's good! No I have seen you ask many good questions on this setup and others. I know by your posts you made up your mind, and are Jonezin for one! :D

I did a lot of research and have been brewing for years. CBS seemed to fit the way I want to brew and is the most flexible system I could find.I placed my order two days ago for a 20g Nano. Unless I go pro or open a tap house someday this is it for me I think. Very exciting stuff. :D

Congrats!! I think you will be happy, what kind of system did you brew on prior?:mug:

SOON!!!!
Since the kettle came in I was able to build my stand over the weekend. Did some more wiring work yesterday and today and I'm almost good to go. Planning to finish my controller and do a water test tonight!
zWPYNL7.jpg

What are you thinking you will brew? Not a bad idea to go with one you know so you will know how to tweak later.

What are you thinking you will brew? Not a bad idea to go with one you know so you will know how to tweak later.

I'm thinking my coriander wit is sounding really good now that the days are getting warm. Need to decide if I am doing a full 10 gal batch or a 5 so I can do another soon (fermentation chamber limits).
Electronics tested well with the controller last night. Water test and finishing work tomorrow/Thurs, brewing Friday night!
NhmbwRr.jpg

Getting ready to pull the trigger on this system. This thread has been great. Any insight as to choosing between the down under version over the home version?

Will probably go with the 20 gallon setup, I mostly do 5 gallons at a time but have a few special brews that will be 10 gallon batches with 30+ pounds of grain.

I couldn't justify the extra cost of the down under personally. Better valves maybe and a taller stand (which I would prefer). I spend my savings on a new bike :)

I was shocked how cheap it was to ship it.

I'm thinking my coriander wit is sounding really good now that the days are getting warm. Need to decide if I am doing a full 10 gal batch or a 5 so I can do another soon (fermentation chamber limits).
Electronics tested well with the controller last night. Water test and finishing work tomorrow/Thurs, brewing Friday night!
NhmbwRr.jpg

Looks great and sounds like a great first brew I too am limited on fermentation. Dying to brew again. I have two beers that should be ready to keg next week then I can get back at it.

I really like how you customized your set up!

Getting ready to pull the trigger on this system. This thread has been great. Any insight as to choosing between the down under version over the home version?

Will probably go with the 20 gallon setup, I mostly do 5 gallons at a time but have a few special brews that will be 10 gallon batches with 30+ pounds of grain.

I am in the same camp as 30Bones. I went with the nano home and I'm not disappointed. I would love to have the whirlpool valve but got a decent whirlpool with the new recirc valve. The stand is not a big deal 3 cinderblocks was an easy fix. If I had unlimited funds I'd go down under but, with a daughter in college and two more behind that I am education poor!

I couldn't justify the extra cost of the down under personally. Better valves maybe and a taller stand (which I would prefer). I spend my savings on a new bike :)

I was shocked how cheap it was to ship it.

Thats what I'm trying to justify. The stand on the down under looks to be turnkey, I would just drop it in the location and be done. The home I'd have to build something to raise everything up and mount the pump. From the new pictures they posted of the home it looks like it has a smaller controller too. Only other differences I could see were the addition of a whirlpool port and the sight glass is attached at both top and bottom of the pot. Looks like most of the additional price comes from labor for all the extra welding.

Was given the go ahead to upgrade my setup, building an electric setup in the basement that will need to last a long time. With that in mind it's not that big of a price difference and just trying to decide if the other features of the down under are nice to have or not really needed.

I am in the same camp as 30Bones. I went with the nano home and I'm not disappointed. I would love to have the whirlpool valve but got a decent whirlpool with the new recirc valve. The stand is not a big deal 3 cinderblocks was an easy fix. If I had unlimited funds I'd go down under but, with a daughter in college and two more behind that I am education poor!

My oldest is just finishing up kindergarten, so I've got some time before college ;)

Thats what I'm trying to justify. The stand on the down under looks to be turnkey, I would just drop it in the location and be done. The home I'd have to build something to raise everything up and mount the pump. From the new pictures they posted of the home it looks like it has a smaller controller too. Only other differences I could see were the addition of a whirlpool port and the sight glass is attached at both top and bottom of the pot. Looks like most of the additional price comes from labor for all the extra welding.

Was given the go ahead to upgrade my setup, building an electric setup in the basement that will need to last a long time. With that in mind it's not that big of a price difference and just trying to decide if the other features of the down under are nice to have or not really needed.

The nano I bought had the larger stand and an extra outlet for another pump. If I decide to expand away from single tier it will be easier with this setup. That was a big feature for me. But you can also get the home version and if you want to expand sell the entire thing and buy a new system.

A big factor for me was having the system be complete with no work needed from me (except for the chiller). That included the pulley system.

The nano I bought had the larger stand and an extra outlet for another pump. If I decide to expand away from single tier it will be easier with this setup. That was a big feature for me. But you can also get the home version and if you want to expand sell the entire thing and buy a new system.

A big factor for me was having the system be complete with no work needed from me (except for the chiller). That included the pulley system.

I was hoping you would chime in. That's pretty much how I'm feeling about which way to go.

One other question for you. In a picture you posted earlier showing the feet of the stand the tower for the pulley system wasn't connected. Does it just slide into the stand somehow or is it bolted/clamped on somehow? Want to make sure I can easily get in through the door and down into the basement.

Back