Un-carbed imperial stout...what would you do?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wyobrew22

Reaction score
I made a really nice bourbon aged(cubes and willet) imperial stout in the spring that I had planned on giving out in 750ml bottles for Christmas gifts. Just opened one to test and it is un-carbonated. Totally flat. I have made the recipe before and did not have this issue. Each bottle was primed with 2 Muntons carb drops. Beer finished at 11.9%, I have heard of adding champagne yeast but as I said, exact same recipe 2 years ago worked great. Would warming them a bit help any? They have been stored at 65 degrees for 6 months. I have a rye stout that’s planned to finish at 7% about to finish in the primary could I try some slurry? Suggestions? I understand Christmas isn’t an option but could I do something and tell people not to open them for a couple weeks?

I think a dry yeast would work better here. Open each bottle and add a little T-58 and re-cap. T-58 is often used for re-yeasting high grav brews. Since it's only carbonating, it won't develop any Belgian characteristics.

Given the six months I don't think the temperature was the issue. When I bottled they'd usually see roughly the same temperature and never had a problem carbing up - in a couple of weeks.

Whatever you try, I suggest transferring one of the bottle contents to a plastic soda bottle. You can use it to tell if carbonation is happening, and when it gets too rigid to squeeze you'll know the whole lot is ready to go...

Cheers!

Last edited:
Good tips. Thanks. I need to re-supply so I’ll get some T-58 and try that.

Back