ummmm white floaty in my airlock??? should I be worried...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

802VermontHomebrew

Reaction score
I am rounding my 3 weeks on my primary for my autumn amber ale from midwest supplies.... and went down to the basement just now and took a look at my airlock and noticed a "white floaty"... ummmm all my equipment was properly sanitized and cleaned very well.... This is my first batch including steeping grains that were in the mesh like bag... I am guessing its from those?? no idea... Hopefully its not from an infection. I followed the directions every step of the way...

Probably mold....is it just water in your airlock (not sanitizer or alcohol)? Either way, no problems, just dump it and refill.

You can also use some sanitizer that you had leftover---as long as it isn't bleach. I don't think that you would want to get that in your beer by accident.

+++ On Vodka! Nothing grows in it, and if you get suckback no problem :) Plus, you can drink it when finished, yes, a tiny sip, but it does pick up the flavors of the fermentation (which can be horrible or somewhat interesting).

Back