Ultra Source Heating Element w/ built in Controll

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Also, it's very unlikely that it is actually measuring the temperature and controlling to a set temperature. More likely, it just has a power control that you adjust manually to maintain a temperature which is measured on a separate thermometer. This is not a closed loop controlled heater, whereas most electric brew systems are closed loop using a PID to maintain precise temps.

Brew on :mug:

Thanks for the feedback.

I am contemplating installing one in by 6 gallon kettle to supplement small stove top batches in my condo. The stove alone struggles with 3 gallon all grain, or partial boil extract batches.

Thanks for the feedback.

I am contemplating installing one in by 6 gallon kettle to supplement small stove top batches in my condo. The stove alone struggles with 3 gallon all grain, or partial boil extract batches.

Heartsick, or better yet a hot rod from brewhardware.com

Ebay has some 1350w 120v immersion heaters for cheap if that is a goal....

Thanks for the feedback.

Depending on the size of your stove burner, you may be subjecting the controller portion to significant heat. You may want to see if you can get any information on how much external heat the external part of the heater can handle. It would be sad to damage an expensive piece of gear due to overheating.

Brew on :mug:

I'm with Wilser. If all you're wanting to do is supplement the stove top, I personally like the option of the Hot Rod from brewhardware. By the time you piece the Hot Rod together it should be about the same price, or even cheaper than the doodad you're looking at. Plus it would be portable, independent of the kettle.

Portability may not seem like a big benefit, but as an example, this weekend I was brewing with a buddy and his propane went out. Good thing I bought two Hot Rods with me. If I only had elements mounted in a kettle (which I was already using) his brew day would have gone south really quick.

If you decide to get this element, let us know how it works out. Maybe it'll be revolutionary!

For supplementing, I would go with the hot rod. To me, I like the idea that it was designed with brewing in mind. This element you've linked could be good, but I think for the price, I would just go with the hot rod.

Back