ultra potent beer!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

toddw15

Reaction score
so just wondering. if i brew a batch of booze and add like half to 3/4 the amount of water im supposed to. will my beer be like colt 45's . like 14% alcohol? or would it just be gross

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I can't imagine it turning out very well, though I've never tried it. Honeslty, I think you'd be better off brewing a nice barleywine, or something similar. It will take a while to age it either way. In the mean time, get yourself a good bottle of whiskey if you're looking for a strong kick.

Brew a cream ale, double/triple the recipe, use a very alcohol tolerant yeast. That is what I would do if for some reason I wanted to do that.

If you're just looking for a mouth full of alcohol without any desirable taste then just whip up a batch of prison hooch. No need to get fancy.
Why anyone would want to consume something like Colt 45 is beyond me unless you have a serious problem with alcohol. You may find it cheaper and easier to just buy a 40 of Colt.

The brewing network did a podcast where one of the members (Doc) cloned Rogue's "Daddy's Little Helper" which was (is?) a malt liquor.

http://thebrewingnetwork.com/shows/531

This is for all of you stuffy folks who put their nose in the air at the notion of homebrewing a malt liquor. Yes, even top tier craft breweries like Rouge have produced them.

But I digress, lets all go back to pretending that we homebrew strictly to produce a quality beer, and not that its kinda fun to catch a buzz every now and again...

So a buddie of mine is going to make a beer where you mash as much grain as you can hold in your tun.
After you have sparged out save the wort and mash another round of grain. Heat the wort from the first batch and use it as sparge water on the 2nd batch of grain. Once you get the proper amount of wort start yourself a slow boil and boil for 6hrs and what your left with is a little bit of super sweet wort. Looks like to much work for me but would like to try it.
Found this
http://www.brewdog.com/blog-article/the-battle-to-brew-the-worlds-strongest-ever-beer

There's a giant thread where some fellas cloned Sam Adams Utopia... sort of worked like that. Bunch of guys with full tuns, and boiling for hours on end. I think its an uphill battle to get something like that to ferment though, you need to play a lot of games with it.

so just wondering. if i brew a batch of booze and add like half to 3/4 the amount of water im supposed to. will my beer be like colt 45's . like 14% alcohol? or would it just be gross

Booze is distilled and none of us distill, and if we did, we wouldn't talk about it here.

Seriously, what you are describing is just modifying the wort to water ratio. Every one of us has done this for one reason or another. To dilute a overly-high gravity, or to boost a low gravity.

Having a higher gravity simply changes the style of beer you are brewing. It doesn't make it "booze". You can make a stout stronger, but then it just becomes an Imperial Stout.

Of course, you might want to consider also adjusting the hops, or you could boil a bit longer to caramelize the wort more. If you want to.

Personally, I'd just PICK A STRONGER RECIPE and brew it. No need to cut back water and risk making an awful beer. Find a good recipe for a high strength ale like a Belgian Strong Ale. It's light in body and fizzy, but hits you from outta knowhere.

This doesn't seem like a very well thought out question. Maybe the OP could rephrase, maybe tell us what s/he is trying to achieve and through what means and then we can formulate some responses based on experience.

As a hypothetical, if you took a 1.050 pale ale kit w/ est abv of 5.6% and used 3/4 the water required to make the beer you would increase the bitterness by 33% and you would increase the gravity by 33%. So, you would end up with a 1.067 pale ale kit w/ est abv of 7.6%. This is the colt45 abv range but not a colt45. I would think you got closer to an IPA or DIPA.

Get my point though? Use 3/4ths the water, just multiply everything be 33% to figure out the numbers. Or just use the appropriate kit for the beer you want to brew. Most of our homebrew that has the word 'imperial' or 'dobble' in front of or 'wine' behind it has a higher abv than malt liquor.

If you're just looking for a mouth full of alcohol without any desirable taste then just whip up a batch of prison hooch. No need to get fancy.
Why anyone would want to consume something like Colt 45 is beyond me unless you have a serious problem with alcohol. You may find it cheaper and easier to just buy a 40 of Colt.

"If you want a stronger beer, then why don't you just brew prison hootch complete with the trash bag lining the toilet bowl"....argument absurdum.

FYI Colt-45 is 5.6%....same as your average American IPA...are you accusing the rest of us of being alcoholics too?

One of these days we ought to post extra brutal responses to one of these threads and a mod should sticky it, so the next teen brewer who comes along will think twice before asking this.

I think I smell a troll. Not sure if the OP was serious. The question wasn't very well thought out and borderline ridiculous.

maybe, but I didn't see anything wrong with the spirit of the question. I find it funny that people come down HARD on some guy thinking wants to make some "high-test" stuff, but EdWort has a thousand-post thread where he advertises his Apfelwein as sufficiently capable of knocking you on your a**, and comes complete with a bolded warning about hangovers....

Oh yeah, and if you look at the recipe (store bought apple juice and sugar) Apfelwein IS basically prison hootch, minus the toilet bowl and with a fancy German name on it. But that is ok...

"If you want a stronger beer, then why don't you just brew prison hootch complete with the trash bag lining the toilet bowl"....argument absurdum.

FYI Colt-45 is 5.6%....same as your average American IPA...are you accusing the rest of us of being alcoholics too?

I think it's clear the OP thinks Colt 45 is a very strong beverage (which is a popular belief). Maybe his poor familiarity with it has something to do with the fact that he isn't permitted to buy it by law. Just a guess.

maybe, but I didn't see anything wrong with the spirit of the question. I find it funny that people come down HARD on some guy thinking wants to make some "high-test" stuff, but EdWort has a thousand-post thread where he advertises his Apfelwein as sufficiently capable of knocking you on your a**, and comes complete with a bolded warning about hangovers....

Oh yeah, and if you look at the recipe (store bought apple juice and sugar) Apfelwein IS basically prison hootch, minus the toilet bowl and with a fancy German name on it. But that is ok...

There is a thread like this posted every couple of days, and every one of them is the same. It's not the spirit of the question, it's just so obviously posted by a kid who can't get alcohol and won't ever have the patience to bottle his first brew anyway. If they were serious about the question, they'd have found the answer already (or inferred it by, I don't know, looking at a recipe).

I mean it's really pretty clear he knows the answer to his question, at least the basic point: Will more sugar in proportion to water mean more alcohol? Yes. Is that an "ultra potent beer!"? Well, I guess, OK, whatever you want to call it.

It's funny to see the honest truth that someone likes Colt 45. You have to admit, it is part of our beer economy. Well, Todd put down the can of Colt and go explore. There's so many beers out there now that have high alcohol, but actually taste great. Like a barely wine, or even just crazy beers that go up to 9-10%.

Regarding "Brewing a batch of booze;" I think it's a bad idea without some sort of plan or a recipe that is proven. My experience in brewing high ABV beers, is that it requires time to mellow like Wine, which is 12%. There are several pitfalls in brewing high ABV beers, which I think require some advance brewing knowledge. If your intent on brewing a "batch of booze," meet up with an advanced brewer and ask for guidance.

As an alternative, mix a lot of sugar and water, ferment and freeze out the water. You now have a "batch of booze."

Good luck on your quest

34012983.jpg

holy crap. sorry. booze/beer i call beer booze once in a while. settle down

holy crap. sorry. booze/beer i call beer booze once in a while. settle down

Beer is booze in UK English slang, anything alcoholic is - we'd reserve "spirits", "the hard stuff" or maybe "liquor" for distilled spirits. Hadn't occurred to me before this thread that booze might be distilled only here.

just wondering if adding less water to my carboy when aging the beer would equal more potent beer in the end. thats all. i wont try this though my last batch turned out nice n tasty. and potent enough

Okay, let's clear up the whole "prison hooch" misnomer. Plastic bags are not put in toilets to hold a beverage. The Goons would check that out in a hurry. and send someone to disciplinary. There are many areas in the chow hall to stash hooch. Commercial milk dispensers us e a heavy plastic bag with a spout on it. When the milk is gone, rinse it out, and start getting all the sugar and honey you can wrangle into it. The problem is getting yeast, due to the desire to brew hooch, all breads are either cooked before they are delivered, thereby killing the yeast, or chemical leavening like biscuits are served. It is interesting to see the kitchen run using all inmates working and "free men" who go home every night generally are the supervision. I am among the few who got to go home.

Okay, let's clear up the whole "prison hooch" misnomer. Plastic bags are not put in toilets to hold a beverage. The Goons would check that out in a hurry. and send someone to disciplinary. There are many areas in the chow hall to stash hooch. Commercial milk dispensers us e a heavy plastic bag with a spout on it. When the milk is gone, rinse it out, and start getting all the sugar and honey you can wrangle into it. The problem is getting yeast, due to the desire to brew hooch, all breads are either cooked before they are delivered, thereby killing the yeast, or chemical leavening like biscuits are served. It is interesting to see the kitchen run using all inmates working and "free men" who go home every night generally are the supervision. I am among the few who got to go home.

We obviously need a forum for this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back