Ultimate n00b advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tomlaw87

Reaction score
Hello,

New to this brewing game. I recently got the coopers DIY kit for Christmas. (lager) got it all set up and it's fermenting away at 22-24'c. My 1st reading was 34. That was this morning but that doesn't really mean much to me :).

Couple of questions.
It's been going a few hours now, but there appears to be a layer at the bottom. Is this normal?
Also, the DVD didn't say stir the yeast so I didn't but the instructions say to stir. Did I mess up?
Lastly, when do I take another reading?

Thanks!!!

That layer at the bottom is trub and is normal. That is your surest sign of fermentation.

If you have trub, no need to worry about the yeast. They are doing their job.

Relax. Looks like all is progressing as it should.

Cheers!

Just relax and walk away. The yeast doesn't need you hovering over it like a scared parent, worrying about everything it's been doing. Yeast has been making beer for several thousand years. They know what they're doing.

Everything is fine.

The yeast can find the sugar just fine.

Take another reading on day 12 and again on day 14 then if you want to rack to a secondary if the grav hasn't changed and it's at your terminal gravity do so. OR if you opt for what many of us do and leave your beer in primary for a month then don't take another reading til bottling day in 4 weeks.

Welcome to the addiction. Now toss the instructions that came with that kit!

24c = what, around 75f? Thats really way too hot, especially for that kit. We did it for our first brew as well, took about 4 months to be drinkable. You want to keep your fermenters around 60-65f, depending on the yeast - there are temperature windows for each of them.

What you seen on the bottom is a yeast cake - its a good thing.

How to pitch yeast varies, some folks rehydrate dry and some pitch dry. Kind of a preference thing. Wait till you start playing with liquid and starters - gets even more fun.

Take another reading in about a week, I'd say. But fermenting that warm, you're gonna want to leave it for a while to clean up.

The layer on the bottom is OK. Not stirring is probably OK. It would not hurt to give it a gentle swirl. You may not see any action for up to 3 or so days, probably sooner. If it ferments OK just wait for 2 or 3 weeks then take gravity reading for 3 days. If the numbers don't change you can proceed to bottle. Then leave them at about 70 degrees for 2 weeks. Cool one for 24-48 hours and give it a try. If it is not fully carbonated, wait another week and try again.

Awesome thanks!!

Day 12 just seems a little late, as it says bottle by day 7. Ah well, we'll just see how it goes!!

Cheers!
Bottoms up.

Just relax and walk away. The yeast doesn't need you hovering over it like a scared parent, worrying about everything it's been doing. Yeast has been making beer for several thousand years. They know what they're doing. Everything is fine. The yeast can find the sugar just fine.

slowclap.gif

DO NOT BOTTLE ON DAY 7! Kit instructions are really bad, and should be outlawed...

Its a little controversial in these parts, but best advice we can give you is to go 3 weeks primary, 3 weeks in the bottle.

Cheers for the help guys. Just worried it might be a bit too warm now though. It's at 22c/72f

Search for "Swamp Cooler." It was the first thing I learned from these folks, and the most valuable. Temp Control is KEY. Basically, get a tub that will fit your carboy and some water, fill it up and use ice/frozen water bottles/etc to keep the temp where you want it. Anything over 70 is pretty hot, except for certain specialty yeast that like it up there.

Awesome thanks!!

Day 12 just seems a little late, as it says bottle by day 7. Ah well, we'll just see how it goes!!

Cheers!
Bottoms up.

Ignore that instruction if you want to have great tasting beer.

You might want to read this thread. why are kit instructions so horrible ?

And then take some advice from folks who have been doing this awhile....

Even John Palmer in how to brew says-
How To Brew said:
Leaving an ale beer in the primary fermentor for a total of 2-3 weeks (instead of just the one week most canned kits recommend), will provide time for the conditioning reactions and improve the beer. This extra time will also let more sediment settle out before bottling, resulting in a clearer beer and easier pouring. And, three weeks in the primary fermentor is usually not enough time for off-flavors to occur.

Cheers for the help guys. Just worried it might be a bit too warm now though. It's at 22c/72f

If it's already past peak fermentation, I wouldn't worry about it. The critical time for temperature control is during early replication and highest activity.

If the activity has already slowed to a crawl, I'd just concentrate on keeping it in the low 70s and call it good. Don't do anything rash.

RDWHAHB. :mug:

tomlaw87 said:
Awesome thanks!!

Cheers!
Bottoms up.

Welcome to brewing and the forum. I'll agree with everyone else on the longer fermentation. We all know what the kit instructions say and they're wrong. Brewing beer isn't about arbitrary timelines. Your beer is done after the gravity readings are stable and then most of us wait a little longer after that. Good luck on the first brew.

Hey Tomlaw.. I'd suggest doing yourself a favor.. the inexpensive chiller. Above has been mentioned the okie swamp cooler.. that's pretty good. All you need is one of those blue or red or ? colored tubs that you can get at Walmart that has rope handles. Put your fermenter in it and put an old t shirt over it so it sucks up water.. That water helps stabilize temp swings. Also, what I found very helpful was to freeze some of those yuppie water bottles that are a bain to landfills and roadsides. Fill them with water, freeze them and then add one or more per day to the bucket.. Change out daily and re freeze the used ones. Works like a charm. I've been able to do a pretty good regulation using that method. Couple tsp of clorox in the water will keep the bucket water from getting skanky during the two weeks or so it's in use.

Back