UK regulations for storage of N2 and CO2 tanks?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CaptainProg

Reaction score
I'm designing a small commercial winery building from scratch. I'm struggling to find what the regulations are for storage of inert gas cylinders (nitrogen tanks and carbon dioxide tanks). I know these are fairly 'low risk' gases, but want to make sure the building design takes any likely regulations into account. We will be producing something in the order of 1800 l of wine per year, so it's a fairly small-scale operation.

Ultimately, I'm looking for UK regulations, but as a starting point if anyone can point me to the regulations for anywhere, that would get the ball rolling...

No gas is 'low risk' in a commercial setting, where more larger cylinders are stored, sometimes in enclosed space where the proportion of air is potentially reduced to dangerous levels during a leak. If not stored externally in a cage you'll need alarmed systems to monitor the environment. They usually go off 3am on a Sunday morning. More often a false alarm triggered by a rat fart or something.

Back