UK & Ireland Recommendations

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bg9929

Reaction score
I am going to be in UK & Ireland in October. I have never been and was hoping to get some recommendations on beers and pubs to try while over there. Figured a couple of you would have some good insight. Interested in all types of beer and possibly some ciders if there are any particular standouts.

Will be visiting Dublin, Galway, Belfast, Edinburgh, London, Bath, and Cardiff.

Thanks in advance for your help!

For Edinburgh

Pubs and bars with good beer
Stockbridge Tap
Cloisters
The Hanging Bat
Bow Bar
Kays
The Guilford Arms
Ushers
Holyrood 9a
Blue Blazer
Old Bell
Port o leith
Abbotsford
The Southern
Jeremiahs taproom
Red Squirrel
Brewdog

There are a lot of good pubs in edinburgh, try and stay off the royal mile, cowgate etc although there are still a couple of decent ones there tbf

Good breweries beers to look out for:

My personal favourites:
Tempest, Pilot, Fyne Ales, Cromarty, Swannay, Broughton, Loch Lomond, Fallen

Other Good ones
Black Isle, Loch Ness, Drygate, WEST, Brewdog, Stewart, Orkney, Alechemy, Cairngorm, Harviestoun,

Avoid (imo)
Caledonian, Belhaven, Black Wolf, Keith, Innis & Gunn

In london I'd probably just go to The Royal Oak and drink Harveys all day long, but do check out some of the better Fullers pubs, Sam SMiths pubs for traditional surroundings, Jerusalem Tavern for St Peters beers, and also have a google of the bermondsey beer mile for modern beers. Kernel and Beavertown still lead that pack imo

Thanks for the advice! Just got back from the trip.

Tried Guilford Arms & Jeremiahs. Jeremiahs was right by where I was staying so that worked out great and Guilford was great. Loved the pub itself along with the beer. Didn't see much local at either. Was told there was a big event that was about to start that changed their selection from what they normally would have had.

Got lost in London trying to find Royal Oak (Phones didn't work so no GPS in unfamiliar city) so didn't make it there :/ but had fun getting lost.

Thanks again!

Back