Uhh... think I did something dumb

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Walking_Target

Reaction score
My first full scale all-grain batch was a bit more than 10 hours on brewday... and I totally forgot about my chilling strategy.

At 2:30 AM I went in out of the cold, plunked my kettle full of 180*-ish wort down and went to bed. At 7:30am it was 110* or so, I carefully drained it into my ferm bucket to avoid oxygenation, airlocked it and went to work.

Came home @ about 5pm, it was now room temp, I gave it a good shake, pitched a 1L starter.

It's going strong and smells pretty good, but I'm worried about DMS because I didn't really chill it. Just threw the kettle in the snow for about half an hour while i cleaned everything up.

This is an IPA, so... just how screwed am I?

Someone may correct me but I believe that DMS is eliminated during the by the boil. A ninety minute boil drives off DMS. Covering the brew kettle during the boil traps DMS. I think your IPA will be fine. Cheers.

I might be wrong as well but I thought there was a whole movement of no-chill brewers? Don't they do this exact thing

Yeah... do a search for "no chill," you will find a vibrant and thriving community of brewers who start all-grain batches on week nights without staying up into the wee hours, and still make wonderful beer.

As other posters have said, you should've driven off most of the DMS during the boil. Provided you had a lid on that kettle overnight, you're probably fine in the sanitation department; the worst thing you have to worry about is a little cosmetic chill haze.

(well, OK, chill haze is thought to affect long-term stability of beer, but, it's an IPA; long as you're drinking it in the first couple months, while those hops are at their peak, the only effects are cosmetic)

Back