Uh oh!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Allstar

Reaction score
So I went to put my airlock on my pirmary today (plastic bucket), and the gasket from the opening fell in and I can't find it. So I just put the lid on and going to hope for the best right now.

Consider yourself a real homebrewer now! You wouldn't believe how many first time posts, including one from someone who became a mod began like this. :D

No, I would leave it in there, the risk of infection is greater if you try to fish for it. What I would do (I actually have a lid that doesn't have a grommet, and I keep forgetting to get a grommet from the hardware store) is to sanitize some tinfoil and wrap it around the stem of the airlock a few times, and then wedge it into the hole in the lid.

We've all done much worse and out beers still manage to turn out. Read these stories and relax https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/wh...where-your-beer-still-turned-out-great-96780/

Honestly I didn't freak out about it to bad, I just got the spoon and tried to see if I could get it, after a minute I was like ok, time to relax and close this up. :) Honestly all the stress is gone after the first brew.

Honestly all the stress is gone after the first brew.
Sounds like you've got the hang of it.

Next time you're at your LHBS, invest a dollar in a few extra ones. They're bound to come in handy in situations like this, unless you're like me and can't find your spares when you need them.

Way back I did a similar thing, only I tried to force a stopper into a carboy where the stopper was a loose fit and I shot it right in.

I transferred it to another carboy and it turned out fine if I remember correctly, but what I don't remember is how I got that stopper out. I think I used a wire hanger.

Next time you're at your LHBS, pick up some small drilled stoppers that will fit in the hole and just get rid of the grommets. They're more trouble than they're worth and stoppers are easier to clean.

Back