Uh oh

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lazarus0530

Reaction score
I just found my six year old sitting on my fermentor.when I told him to "GET OFF OF THAT!" when he did some of water in the airlock fell into the fermentor. Is my batch ruined? The water was sanitized. But it was tap water.

You're fine...

We will often use something like cheap vodka in airlocks. It's cheap, it's sanitary, and if it spills into your beer, it doesn't affect taste.

+1, I use starsan myself. A little starsan won't hurt anything either, like vodka. It's recommended not to use plain water tho.

See maybe that was my problem. I read the directions to the T and it said to fill the airlock with sanitized water. I like that vodka trick. I'm brewing an esb but from what I have gathered I'm still a few weeks away from trying it. I can't wait!

You'll be fine, but yeah - I use old alchohol in my air locks. My in-laws had a box of old bottles of gin, vodka, rum, etc. from when one of their parents died - I had no interest in drinking 30 year old beefeater gin, so I use it in my airlocks.

Ha,I like the grain alkeehol bit. Did y'all make it yerself? Aaah,friday night...seegereets,& wooskey,& wild wild womens! They'll draave ye crazy they'll drave yee insaaane! Just had to do it.m But I do use vodka in my airlock as well. Both me & the fermenter,carryin a load...

Back