Uh oh, need some help fast.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fezzman

Reaction score
Last night I brewed a Russian Imperial Stout from Brewer's Best. This is the second time I've brewed this recipe.

When I came home today the lid had blown off of my primary bucket. Hoping for the best, I cleaned off the lid, removed the overflowing krausen, and put the lid back on. Then the wife and I went for a walk around the block. When I got back the airlock had already blown back off.

The air was turned off while at work so the temp in the house reached probably around 80*. After cleaning up the first mess I bumped the air way down and now the temp is around 68*.

What should I do at this point? I can't keep the airlock in as it is foaming out the hole. I don't want to leave myself open to any further contamination. :confused:

trinitone said:
Three words... blow off tube.

That was my first thought. The only tube I've got is my siphon tube. I suppose that will fit in the lid if I take the black gromet off. It just seems as though the tube will clog rather fast.

well... there isn't a huge chance that it has been contaminated, but there is a chance...

put the bucket in a bathtub, and put the lid loosely on.. once the fermentation calms down, replace the lid with the airlock... you should be fine.

aekdbbop said:
well... there isn't a huge chance that it has been contaminated, but there is a chance...

put the bucket in a bathtub, and put the lid loosely on.. once the fermentation calms down, replace the lid with the airlock... you should be fine.

After the first mess I made sure to stick that puppy in the bathtub. I'll go crack the lid loose now. I've never had such a violent fermentation before. Grrr

aekdbbop said:
thats brilliant... do what david says.. makes more sense..
Actually, that's what I just did after seeing his post...well, sorta. I was worried that the glass would bobble off and break so I put a pint-sized disposable cup over the hole.

I'm having second thoughts about picking up the ingredients tomorrow for an Imperial Brown Ale. Meh, going for it anyways. :D

EDIT: Oh yeah, thanks for all of the tips.

Hey Fezz,

I have been brewing 15 years and I have used my siphon hose as a 'blow off hose' till about a year ago when the owner of the homebrew supply North Dallas, old Kelly, told me a blow off hose is like 2" diameter, same size as the cork. I use a 7.5 gallon glass carbouy for a primary and even with a 5 gallon batch it still 'overflows'.
Never had a problem with the siphon hose clogging. Just make it fit and 'let her blow'.

Knife

Back