Uh-oh - Kegerator troubles...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stratslinger

Reaction score
We had a pretty major power outage in my neck of the woods, just a couple weeks back... The power came back, and everything seemed kosher. However, a fe days later my kegerator (a frigidaire fridge) simply shut off. Anything that was frozen in the freezer thawed out, my kegs assumed room temperature, and I got generally depressed.

Not sure what happened, but within an hour or two of noticing the thing was off, it started right back up again, and ran fine for another week or two.

However, tonight I sat down to watch my beloved Pats get off to a very ugly start against the Chiefs. I decided a beer was a must, and found my kegerator off again, and everything in the freezer (thankfully, only ice cube trays now) was thawed again. I dried up some condensation, and while I was doing so the fridge kicked back in again.

Anybody have any idea what the heck is up with my fridge? Does this sound familiar to anybody? Something that should be easy and/or cheap to fix, or should I start combing Craigslist for a replacement?

Not gonna lie here - this certainly makes looking for a chest freezer and going the keezer route tempting... But funds are a little tight at the moment, so I'm looking for what's going to be my least expensive option. Guess I'll make a couple calls today.

For what it's worth, the fridge bounced back just like the Pats did, and it's running fine at the moment. Which probably means, given their recent history, that it'll go down once or twice more and then finally give out some time in early January. ;)

Not gonna lie here - this certainly makes looking for a chest freezer and going the keezer route tempting... But funds are a little tight at the moment, so I'm looking for what's going to be my least expensive option. Guess I'll make a couple calls today.

For what it's worth, the fridge bounced back just like the Pats did, and it's running fine at the moment. Which probably means, given their recent history, that it'll go down once or twice more and then finally give out some time in early January. ;)

Home Depot has a freezer for $168 right now. I would imagine it would not be much more than a Craigslist fridge. Would require some work to build a collar though. Figured I would pass it on. Good luck!

I tried last night to run that freezer by SWMBO - no go, she wants a fridge so we have extra freezer space. I definitely agree with her point...

So, I'll make a couple calls to local appliance repair folks, get some guesstimates of the cost of repair, then make a call as to whether I go that route or start searching CL.

We had a fridge years ago that started acting the way you described. If I remember correctly, it turned out to be a glitch in the self-defrost cycle controller. Local appliance guy fixed it and we continued to use the fridge for several more years. Yours may only need a cheap fix, too. Or not.

Back