uh oh.....apfelwein troubleshooting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jingles

Reaction score
I've made about 12-15 batches of Ed's Apfelwein (THANK you, Ed!!) but one batch I fear I may have messed up cuz it isn't clearing like the batch I had made 2 days earlier. I know myself well enough to know that I COULD have put only half the sugar in that was needed......but I am unsure if that is what happened. I don't know why else it wouldn't be clearing like the earlier batch. It looks like the middle carboy in Ed's original post photo in the "Man, I love Apfelwein" thread, whereas the earlier batch looks like the first carboy in his photo.

Is there anything I can do? I am still a newbie enough NOT to know how to tell if the lack of enough sugar is my issue. help!

TIA!!!

Love, Marla

nothing to do with the sugar. I make apfelwein with half the sugar cuz I don't want it as dry or as potent.

cleared in 30 days.

Could it be bad yeast? Should I re-pitch? It has been 39 days.

I appreciate the help!!

Love, Marla

It could be some weird pectin in the juice. Mine is still not clear and I am wondering if that is the problem. I've tried gelatin, campden tabs, cold crashing, and bentonite clay.

as long as it is completely fermented you could use any of these methods except campden tabs, to try to clear it. Campden tabs probably will not help.

I guess I can just let it sit until it clears (since I have a few other carboys happily bubbling).

Thanks you guys!!

Love, Marla

(In spartan gear, and with greatest Russell Crowe impersonation ever)

THIS IS APFELWEIN!!

Sorry, slow morning at the office.

Back