ugh. Did I just ruin a batch with auto siphon & hot wort

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

patrad

Reaction score
So I've been experimenting with BIAB and no-sparge (which is what happens when you loose the bag part) methods. Long story short, I siphoned hot wort (just after flame out) into a carboy. I noticed the siphon now has a nice little curve to it! I'm worried that some plasticizers may have leeched in . . . thoughts? Just wait to taste it?

That curve doesn't necessarily mean anything has "leached" or changed about the PVC. I truly doubt you've ruined it, but there isn't anything you can do about it now. So kick back, grab a beer, and tell us what comes of it.

Into a glass carboy? Or plastic? Either one seems like a pretty bad idea -- glass carboys can shatter from thermal shock, and plastic can melt at fairly low temps.

hmmm yeah. . didn't consider the carboy. It's glass. Still ok though, it's cool now this morning so I guess it could take it/I got lucky.

Latest posts

Back