Ug need new mash tun

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Charlieatthedisco

Reaction score
Wanting to upgrade to ten gal batches and the only thing holding me back is the mash tun. My previous mash tun was a ten gal rubber maid cooler so my current set up does not have a burner and I don't want to go that route but what I do have is an xtra 15.5 gal keg. If I wrapped insulation around that would it hold temp for an hour? What is everyone's experience with that?
Thanks In advance

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I would suspect that with the thermal mass of a 10 gal. batch it should work just fine for you. I'm currently doing 5 gal. batches with a stainless 7 gal. kettle wrapped in insulation. It holds temps just fine for a 60 min. mash.

Nice, did you somehow get some insulation on the bottom and lid also? And what kind did you use
If you recall?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

This isn't the best pix but it should serve the purpose. I bought a roll of insulation at Home Depot. The same stuff you'd use to wrap a water heater but it comes in 18" wide rolls. Wrapped the sides and bottom with duct tape to hold it in place. I preheat it with a couple quarts of hot strike water prior to the mash. Once the mash is going and I'm done with pH adjustments I just throw a small blanket or towel over the lid to help hold the heat in. Typically looses maybe 1-3 degrees F over an hour mash.

mash tun.jpg

For a 10 gallon batch you should be able to hold heat reasonably well by just wrapping your mash tun in some blankets, an old winter coat, or even a sleeping bag. For your first few batches mash in a few degrees on the high side, if you lose a few degrees not a huge deal IMO. You can just learn to compensate for a small loss in your mash tun rather than fixating on making it perfect....which it will never be...

Back