Ubuntu Linux Beer Program?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jsamp

Reaction score
I'm wondering if there are any Linux users here and if so what app do you use? I couldnt get Beersmith running correctly in Wine so thats a no go. I downloaded a program called QBrew its seems like it might be alright but doesnt seem as intuitive as Beersmith. So any suggestions would be appreciated.

I ran Beersmith through wine but couldn't get the brew sheets to display for me. Tried QBrew too and while it was okay, thought that it could use some more polishing. Beer Calculus is a nice web-based app from hopville.com that works very well.

Beer Calculus

You have to do a bit of calculation still, but it is a nice setup.

I actually relegated myself to the fact that I have to run a Windows box just to have BeerSmith running on it. (I love that program!)

Wow surprised there are this many Linux users. Cheers to you folks. I'll check some of those out. Thanks for all the suggestions. :mug:

I ran Beersmith through wine but couldn't get the brew sheets to display for me.
thats exactly why I said I couldnt get it working in Wine. The program itself will run but none of the grains, hops, etc show up. Its too bad really

I actually relegated myself to the fact that I have to run a Windows box just to have BeerSmith running on it. (I love that program!)
I have a Windows box setup for my gf so I could technically install Beersmith on there. Call me stubborn but I'm trying not to use Windows as much as possible but I may have to go that route if I dont like the ones suggested.

^^comments in bold

I use a spreadsheet that's: (1) free; (2) instantly updatable by me; and (3) not crippled or attenuated (pun intended) by hidden formulas in any way. Plus, it requires no compilation or installation of dependencies that have not been included in the installer on Linux systems (that means the author has taken the time to package or link any dependencies that are required to properly install and run the program). But that's just me.

I had beersmith working great in Karmic, but for some reason when I upgraded to Lucid it died...still runs, but won't display brewsheets anymore...I think the fake "C:" drive in wine got fooked when I copied my home drive to an external and then copied back what i thought were the important bits.

VirtualBox is free, (free-as-in-beer, not free as in free), and works great...that's what I went to. VirtualBox OSE is free as in beer and as in free, but the OSE has no USB support or shared folders support.

Edit: to be clear, run XP or something in VirtualBox, install Brewsmith into that.

Did you do the Darwine update when you went Lucid? Most of my wine packages were crashing on Lucid until I got the new Darwine package.

BTW Lucid is freaking great!

I'm DLing the referenced application right now, I will test it out on Lucid.

VirtualBox is free, (free-as-in-beer, not free as in free), and works great...that's what I went to. VirtualBox OSE is free as in beer and as in free, but the OSE has no USB support or shared folders support.

Edit: to be clear, run XP or something in VirtualBox, install Brewsmith into that.

That defeats the purpose in running a strictly Linux OS by running Windows through a virtual machine. I'm trying to go full native Linux apps. The only ones I have running in Wine are Office 2007 and ImgBurn. Its a thought really but I dont want to use the Windows rig I have setup for my gf if I dont have to.

I did try out Brewtarget for a few today. Seems A LOT better than the Qbrew I tried out earlier.

Did you do the Darwine update when you went Lucid? Most of my wine packages were crashing on Lucid until I got the new Darwine package.

BTW Lucid is freaking great!

I'm DLing the referenced application right now, I will test it out on Lucid.
Never heard of Darwine. I backed up my /home and did a complete wipe/fresh install of Lucid, then copied back select parts of my /home drive, (leaving out as much of the .dotted files as possible cuz I didn't want my old settings). I did a fresh install of Wine 1.2, then copied over my ~/.wine directory, but it didn't QUITE work.

That defeats the purpose in running a strictly Linux OS by running Windows through a virtual machine. I'm trying to go full native Linux apps. The only ones I have running in Wine are Office 2007 and ImgBurn. Its a thought really but I dont want to use the Windows rig I have setup for my gf if I dont have to.

I did try out Brewtarget for a few today. Seems A LOT better than the Qbrew I tried out earlier.

Yeah, I suppose. I use Linux cuz it's easier, faster, cleaner than windows, but I don't have any hangups with using M$ if necessary...personal choice I guess....I can't stand Brewtarget or Qbrew after being spoiled by the robustness of Beersmith.

Thanks man, that's the idea :) Getting ready to release 1.2.2 sometime in a couple of weeks.

shortyjacobs said:
....I can't stand Brewtarget or Qbrew after being spoiled by the robustness of Beersmith.

Have any feature requests so I can make it better for you?

I'm relatively happy with QBrew, but on the other hand, I haven't tried anything else. My friend even added a feature to it, but the update hasn't shown up in the Ubuntu repository yet.

Thanks man, that's the idea :) Getting ready to release 1.2.2 sometime in a couple of weeks.
You know, I tried out brewtarget, but when I discovered it didn't have the GF ingredients I'm using, I ended up just using an online calculator. I tried downloading brewtarget again a couple weeks ago, figuring I would go in and add the ingredients, but I ended up getting totally confused. I guess it seems that brewtarget is really aimed at the all-grain brewer (not that I'm saying that is a bad thing, but since I can't buy my GF grains all malted and ready to go, I'm not ready for that) so I thought maybe I should just write my own, targeting extract brewing (mostly be removing unneeded features, and making a rather simple interface for adding new extract ingredients).

Then I got busy at work, and now I started thinking about it again, and had a big (duh) moment when I realized brewtarget is open source!

A true *ix geek would code his own! ;)

I'm actually looking back into Perl to develop a simple inventory management system that's a little more tailored than I think I can get Beersmith, since I split ingredients/equipment with one or two other guys.

A true *ix geek would code his own! ;)

I'm actually looking back into Perl to develop a simple inventory management system that's a little more tailored than I think I can get Beersmith, since I split ingredients/equipment with one or two other guys.

HTML/PHP/Javascript/MySQL would be a better way to go for that. Especially if other people are going to be using it.

HTML/PHP/Javascript/MySQL would be a better way to go for that. Especially if other people are going to be using it.

I started to do one like that, mostly for inventory (so I could see whether a group of recipes could be combined into a full sack or two for a bulk purchase), but didn't end up getting very far.

I started to do one like that, mostly for inventory (so I could see whether a group of recipes could be combined into a full sack or two for a bulk purchase), but didn't end up getting very far.

That's a pretty good idea. You could have a webapp that accepts a bunch of BeerXML files and spit out amounts of ingredients you'd need to brew all of them. Could be done in an hour or two.

True enough. I use PostGreSQL for the backend to most of my one-off programs. PHP is especially wonderful as far as ease of coding. (All documented online with awesome examples)

Being a web-based app it's easy to serve up to others too. Around 1998 or so I started working on a homebrew recipe database. Turns out that was quite a waste of time, thank you HBT. :D

I've been using qbrew since early in the year and it's great to make a quick hydro correction, get ABV, or toss in a quick recipe. Brewtarget is a nicer interface and seems to be more thorough, so I'm using that primarily.

There are only two features that seem quirky compared to qbrew. First one, when I input hops I think it should default to "oz" without having to type it in or click the "edit selected" button. If you type in "1" in the amount it defaults to 1lb of hops! (not that I don't love a good IIPA :) ). Qbrew has little arrows next to the ingredient amount to easily scale from .5oz to .75 to 1.0, etc....that would be nice.

Also having a quick hydro temp correction and ABV Calculator would be nice :)

:off:
How is everyone liking Lucid? Any major differences from Karmic? I've got a GMA500 video chipset in this netbook so I'll wait until the workaround is in a better state.....but might upgrade my desktop this weekend

There are only two features that seem quirky compared to qbrew. First one, when I input hops I think it should default to "oz" without having to type it in or click the "edit selected" button. If you type in "1" in the amount it defaults to 1lb of hops! (not that I don't love a good IIPA :) ). Qbrew has little arrows next to the ingredient amount to easily scale from .5oz to .75 to 1.0, etc....that would be nice.

One of the major points of brewtarget is that you can enter amounts in whatever units you please. You shouldn't just type "1" in for the amount of something, but rather "1 oz" or "30 g" or whatever. It will automatically get converted to the appropriate units based on your unit system in the options.

:off:
How is everyone liking Lucid? Any major differences from Karmic? I've got a GMA500 video chipset in this netbook so I'll wait until the workaround is in a better state.....but might upgrade my desktop this weekend

I've been pretty happy with it, but it's got some rough edges when using a laptop (I've submitted bugs for touchpad scrolling being broken, and for the screen brightness not working like I'd expect). I'm using Kubuntu, though, so maybe these things work under Gnome. No serious complaints, though.

Latest posts

Back