U.K new to brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnnyrobbo

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,
I'm getting married next week in Cuba and for my wedding present I'm treating my self to a home brewery setup. Iv done a few brews with my friends on there old equipment but now I want to treat myself to all new. So as a beginner can anyone recommend things like where to get a descent mash tun. Iv been looking at the igloo coolers as iv seen these used quite a bit on YouTube videos. Also are the any recommended websites/retailers I should look to for the rest of the equipment. Iv also considered a full set up from Powellbrewing but can never get him to return an email to me so this has put me off a little. Any advise is wonderful, Thankyou Johnnyrobbo.

Hi johnny, there's a few brits here

try homebrewbuilder, angel homebrew, malt miller or brewuk, they seem to be the best for equipment in the uk

I think most UK homebrewers tend to like to bodge things together more, I know my setup is somewhat basic :eek: brewuk have something called the grainfather which is a braumeister copy essentially for about £600 I think . So if you need to save some space it's possibly a good option.

Iv seen the grain master but I think I want to go with the mash tun option, I like the idea of trying different things and the possibilities of things going wrong so I learn more. I'm going to get started buying up in the next month :)

I looked plenty on Amazon but found out that angel home brew is only in the next town from me so hopefully he's going to sort me out. Where's the best place for you grain bill and hops. My local hb stores haven't got too much in.

I've used Malt Miller (biggest range I think, grain milled the day before he ships it to you if you want it milled) Worcester Hop Shop (best value leaf hops, does limited grain and yeast) and http://www.thehomebrewcompany.co.uk/ which is actually based in Ireland but very good value if you can order over £70 for the free shipping. And they use DPD who are the best courier, arrives in a couple of days usually

I would recommend starting with BIAB, buy yourself a good gas burner, 50l pot and use the money saved for a fridge with fermentation control.
All the parts can still be used if you then upgrade to a 3 vessel system.

Thank you lads for the recommendations, Iv ordered parts of my kit and partitioned and painted up the garage ready for my brew room 😏, what are you guys into brewing at the moment?

I'm brewing a golden summer bitter (wishful thinking) that I used Crisp caramalt 20, Fullers ale yeast, Target and Northern Brewer for hops. If it comes out well I'll post the full recipe, cheers.

Just bottled a left overs ale (pilsener and chocolate malt with cascade, pacifica brew hops and a wakatu hop tea) and also have a light lager in the fermentation chamber.

Do you guys heat with electric or gas, if gas where did u get ur gas burner from, I have 70ltr pots

Latest posts

Back