Typical Rhizome Size

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmbRedGetta

Reaction score
So I made a spur of the moment decision to buy a rhizome at my LHBS this past weekend. I've been thinking about growing for a while now, but I hadn't researched it at all.

After seeing some of the rhizomes on here (especially the ones beerloaf currently has for sale), mine looks kinda pathetic.

I know not to expect a lot out of a first year plant, but I want to give it the best shot I can, especially since I only have room for one plant.

Assuming I do all the right things with the soil and watering, will this thing actually turn into something this year? Is what I have average as far as size goes? That's a sandwich size ziplock bag, so the rhizome is probably just under 5" long.

I guess I'm most worried that there's only one tiny white sprout on mine, while others I see have numerous sprouts that look to be a few inches long already.

20130414_220912.jpg

So... rhizome envy? Don't worry. Get some fine soil and stick it in. You probably have a grower (vs a shower)

I had one like that last year. I babied it in a pot full of potting soil. It finally got going and i moved it the ground at the end of the season. These are hardy plants, stick it in some soil and show it some love, it'll work.

That looks better than the rhizomes I got from morebeer last year. Just remember, don't expect anything in the first year and whatever you do get is better than nothing.

Nice! Did you start yours in pots and are planning on transplanting, or are you growing them in the pots?

The cenntenials I received this year were only the size of my middle finger.
The Nuggets looked about the size of a roosters foot with three toes and the other was three times that size with three offshoots.

After seeing some of the rhizomes on here (especially the ones beerloaf currently has for sale), mine looks kinda pathetic.

That's kinda funny. Mine came off a 3rd year plant that went absolutely crazy and it took me about 1 1/5 hours to dig up due to its spread out size. The rhizomes I'm still selling from that centennial plant are decent size and I harvested it twice last year. 2 of the EKG and even the others I was selling as "extra large" were well over 1" in diameter and close to about 1.5". In reality the size of them does not matter much. All will produce decent size plants given enough time and the right soil combo. I usually use dehydrated cow manure from Lowe's and mix with potting soil and regular top soil for the 1st year plants. 1/3 ratio seems to work. I then continue to add cow manure about once a month until harvest time. One 40 lb bag goes a long ways. It's also cheap, think around $2.40 /bag. The first year it's more important to let them grow and do as they want and you may or may not have a harvest. It will get better the 2nd and 3rd year. I also learned not to worry much about spider mites and such since I caused more damage to the plants the 1st year by trying to get rid of a few mites that didn't even have much impact on the plants. I found unless you have a large infestation and then causing damage, you don't really need to get involved much. One word of advice to new growers, have a large height available for some varieties. Both my Chinook and Centennial average around 23 ft in height every year. Some varieties however do better if kept shorter. Happy growing.

beerloaf

Nice! I appreciate the tips!

We're planning on moving within the next year or two. I was planning on planting the rhizome in the ground and just digging it up when we move, but should I consider potting for now to make transplanting easier?

Like I said in my first post, I didn't exactly think this growing thing through... :drunk:

I actually tried a few in pots the 1st year and I found that I had issues with the soil balance due to basically "washing" away most of the minerals every time I watered them. I had drainage holes in the bottom to let out the excess water. That was just my experience, I know that some on here have had good luck in planters and such, but I found it wasn't for me. I would plant them in the ground and just dig them up. The roots/crown should not be too large or crazy after 1 year as to make that too difficult. I have very clay heavy soil but I can still grow some of the more finicky varieties just fine. I think it comes down to balancing things out. Hops need lots of nitrogen so if you have a decent compost or manure, that will do fine.

beerloaf

I actually tried a few in pots the 1st year and I found that I had issues with the soil balance due to basically "washing" away most of the minerals every time I watered them. I had drainage holes in the bottom to let out the excess water. That was just my experience, I know that some on here have had good luck in planters and such, but I found it wasn't for me. I would plant them in the ground and just dig them up. The roots/crown should not be too large or crazy after 1 year as to make that too difficult. I have very clay heavy soil but I can still grow some of the more finicky varieties just fine. I think it comes down to balancing things out. Hops need lots of nitrogen so if you have a decent compost or manure, that will do fine.

beerloaf

Yes if you use drained planters, the nutrients will wash away. If you use un-drained planters, you need to be cautious how much water you give them to prevent rotting. A hygrometer may come in handy. (NOT Hydrometer!) :D

MC

Back