Types of beers for nitro dispensing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Junedaddy75

Reaction score
About to get my nitrous tank to complete my system😊. Already have a 4 tap co2 setup. Anyways, what other type of beers do you use on nitrogen besides the obvious stouts? Would like to experiment. Thanks for your input

My setup is new so I haven't experimented much yet. Obviously the Milk Stout (Left Hand clone - the whole reason for going nitro). I did try putting my Tripel on as a test, albeit it half assed since it was a carbonated beer that I simply pushed with the nitro. It frothed it up as expected and really changed the taste of the beer. Very unique. I'm tempted to start splitting all my batches and put some on nitro initially and see how they come out. I can always put them back on CO2 if I don't care for them. I don't want to buy multiple nitro taps though so I either need to swap kegs or develop a liquid manifold system.....

I rotate a stout and an Irish Red on my nitro tap. I have several 2 1/2 gallon kegs so the rotation happens more often.

I am a big fan of nutty browns on nitro, especially ones with a bit of oats in the recipie.

And every once in a while I throw a pale ale on there for a bit, usually to kill a keg. Some people say it lessens the hop character, but I don't know if I notice it that much, especially in a "past its prime" hoppy beer.

I'd say it's worth a try with anything malty!

It also might be really neat to try a good witbier on nitro, to further enhance the creamy texture of the beer.

I personally do find a diminution of hop presence when an IPA/APA is served on nitro. I thought maybe it was just my palate being insensitive, but I recently heard an interview with Charlie Bamforth in which he mentioned that although they don't know exactly why, it's been known for some time in the brewing industry that nitrogen masks hops. (That won't stop some breweries from trying to ride the nitro and IPA bandwagons at the same time, though...*cough cough* looking at you, Guinness and Sam Adams).

EDIT: Since I just read the comment above mine, I'll add that I agree that a past-its-prime pale ale could be served on nitro, but of course the reasoning for that is the fact that the phrase "past its prime," when applied to a pale ale, generally means "old enough that the hops have faded away."

I have read too that hoppy beers "lose" some of their character when on nitrogen. What about a wheat beer?! Hmm. Thanks for all the input

I have read too that hoppy beers "lose" some of their character when on nitrogen. What about a wheat beer?! Hmm. Thanks for all the input

I think IPA's happiness and smoothness of the nitro conflict in a way that takes away from the hops aroma/flavor, and makes them feel less "sharp"/dry.

Wheat beers are generally carbonated on the high end (like Hefe), and nitro goes in the opposite direction. But maybe worth a try.

I never had an irish red ale on nitro. I have a keg of it now and will go switch to nitro as soon as I finish typing this!

I like what nitro does to a hoppy or bitter beer. I've done an IPA on nitro once before (granted I had an imperial IPA on CO2 at the same time). Overall, I think IPAs are best in CO2, but nitro will soften 'em up. For the same reason, I like an APA on nitro every now and then. Progressing in the same direction, I like even more to have any variety of English bitter on nitro.

I think that temp plays a big role with nitro beers. If you can serve them in the 50's rather than the 30's/40's, I think it helps. With a hoppy beer, where the lack of carbonation cuts down the crisp, drinkable character, a warmer temp can help bring out the overall flavor, which helps counter-balance that.

I agree with Jordan, anything malty is a good candidate. I haven't done an Irish red (yet), but when I do, at least half will go on nitro.

Any stout is good, of course. Last winter I had a big imperial stout on nitro, and I wouldn't have it any other way.

I haven't done a barley wine since I got my nitro setup, but it's on my list to brew a big English barley wine and put it up on nitro.

Almost any English/Irish/Scottish style would do well on nitro. Very common to find "smooth" versions of export English Pale Ales in a nitro can (John Smith's, Boddingtons, Old Speckled Hen, Abbot Ale, etc). Along with the obvious Irish Stouts, Wexford Irish Creme Ale is on nitro. Belhaven Scottish Ale is also available in a nitro can.

And so on and so forth.

Personally I'm not wild about nitro in general. It does help make the right character in an Irish Stout, but outside from that (and even in that case) I always get this metallic tinge in nitro beers that puts me off.

Anything British that would be served via a handpump would be fine or great on nitro. A good sessionable dark mild, for instance. If doing a UK pale or IPA, dry hop in the keg.

Porter. Nitro porters are awesome.

Case in point...

IMG_3346.jpg

Back