Type M thermocouple, question.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lakedawgs

Reaction score
Ordered a 'Type K' thermocouple and was shipped a 'Type M'. Not sure if it will be ok to use. Here is the PID I am using.

Here is a bit of info about the Type M thermocouple. I just don't understand the particulars.....
Type M thermocouples use a nickel alloy for each wire. The positive wire (20 Alloy) contains 18% molybdenum while the negative wire (19 Alloy) contains 0.8% cobalt. These thermocouples are used in vacuum furnaces for the same reasons as with type C. Upper temperature is limited to 1400 °C. It is less commonly used than other types.

Any help is appreciated.

Send it back. I think it's very unlikely that PID would accept non-standard thermocouples, and even if it did you would never figure out how to program it.

Send it back. I think it's very unlikely that PID would accept non-standard thermocouples, and even if it did you would never figure out how to program it.

The type M is a standard thermocouple, it's just not a K type. Look at your PID documentation - most of them can be set for type M.

Most? Which? I have yet to see a PID that accepts M thermocouples.

I would not have high hopes for REX C-100 documentation... :)

Back