Two yeasts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chrispy321

Reaction score
Hi, I have noticed some 5 gallon recipes ask for 2 packaged of yeast, while vast majority require one. I have used one previously with no problems, is there any benefit of using two for an average strength ale

Depends on OG of the wort and the package size for the brand of yeast (Muntons tends to have 6 g packages, MJ tends to be 10 g, Lallemand 11 g, and Fermentis 11.5 g).

In general, if one assumes a mid-range OG (50-ish) and a 11g-ish package of yeast, one package will work..

It was 11g safe ale yeast and mid range gravity - would there be any benefit?

It was 11g safe ale yeast and mid range gravity - would there be any benefit?

That depends on what you mean by benefit. For example, if you want to limit growth (and thereby limit ester formation), more cells can do that.

Personally, I think it's good to step away from the over simplified "one pack per X gallons of up to Y gravity wort" instructions and even (sometimes) from the yeast calculator default pitch rates, and think about the relationships between pitch rate, wort gravity, oxygenation, yeast strain, fermentation temperature, beer style, and personal preferences.

I also acknowledge that the question was asked in the beginner forum, and so my easier answer is, sure, one pack is good.

Half a pack is enough for 5 gallons of normal strength ale. A whole pack is plenty for a lager or a strong ale. 2 packs only needed for strong lager. Otherwise 2 packs is truly overkill. No drawbacks, just waste and expense.

Personally, I think it's good to step away from the over simplified "one pack per X gallons of up to Y gravity wort" instructions and even (sometimes) from the yeast calculator default pitch rates, and think about the relationships between pitch rate, wort gravity, oxygenation, yeast strain, fermentation temperature, beer style, and personal preferences.
Recently, there have been a couple of newer brewers who each started a topic on "How they brew".

If you were to start a similar topic (perhaps over in the Fermentation & Yeast forum) with the idea you mentioned, I suspect a bunch of people (including me) would follow along.

the greater the amount will possibly speed up fermentation, until fermentation starts the wort is at risk. I get 3 brews from a packet by making a starter, remember yeast is a living thing, it multiplies quickly once it gets going, start the starter a couple of days before brewing and it will speed up the ferment. yeast also acts as a protective for your brew so the sooner it gets going the better.

Latest posts

Back