Two weeks in primary ok?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jay29

Reaction score
The fermentation is still going good, one bubble in the lock about 7-8 seconds, after one week. I am going on vacation for 7 days tomorrow. Should I rack it to the secondary to get it off the old yeast or just leave it as is until I get back? :drunk:

I would just leave it be until you get back. Gives the yeast more time to clean up after themselves, there's no rush to get out of primary until you hit a month.

Two weeks is no problem. According to Papazian autolysis is not a problem until much later. He wrote that he had left many in the primary for over a month with no problems.

Good luck
Al

probably fine to wait, plus the gravity reading, not your airlock, is how you know if its really done and just burping CO2, or still somewhat actively fermenting.

a lot of hefe makers suggest primary 2 weeks, no secondary.

I wouldn't say that 2 weeks in primary is OK at all. It's my recommended minimum. Seriously, don't take the work away from the yeast too soon. It basically increasing the needed conditioning time that no one ever waits for anyway.

Leave it. I keg from the fermenter and typically leave it for 4 weeks. That's why I have three fermenters.

david_42 said:
Leave it. I keg from the fermenter and typically leave it for 4 weeks. That's why I have three fermenters.

Dave, do you dry hop in the keg for beers that call for that? If so, do you use a hop bag or something like that? I'm getting ready for my first kegged batch but was going to secondary and dryhop but skipping that and going right to the keg sounds nice.:drunk:

Thanks
Al

If you dry hop in a keg, USE A BAG. I thought I was all clever when I tossed some pellets into a keg once. After the friggin thing clogged up with hops, I had to rack over to another keg. I still had bits o' hop in the bottom of my mug (or on top of the head) for the whole batch.

It was worth a good laugh, though.

TL

I like using whole/leaf hops for keg dry hopping. Go to your local asian grocery market and pickup a stainless tea ball. It's about 2" in diameter.

I also recently aquired a keg that had the coolest little fine mesh stainless strainer tube on the dip tube. It's the first time I ever saw it and I imagine it works great to stop hops.

Back