Two weeks and still a layer of yeast on top of beer!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

natelindner

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm doing a batch of American Amber Ale. When I brewed I noticed that the airlock produced no bubbles so after a few days I checked the beer to see a very nice yeast layer on top as well as a nice thick krausen ring, so I assumed there was a leak somewhere in my system. It's been a week and a half since then but there is still a very substantial yeast layer on top. It's gotten slightly smaller but just barely. What do I do? Is it normal for that to happen? I'm using Wyeast American Ale which is supposed to flocculate pretty well...

Pics? It sounds like yeast rafts. I had the same when I bottled my Irish Red after 2 weeks. Also, are you using a bucket for primary? If so, the lid isn't truly airtight and that's why you saw no bubbles. I had the same happen with mine, and it tastes just fine.

It happens. Don't worry. I've even had the krausen take more than three weeks. I would wait another week or so and see what happens. You can always rack your beer out from under it when it's time to bottle or keg.

Here is a picture of my fermentor. As you can see I am using a bucket which is probably why I didn't see bubbling

IMG_0089.jpg

Looks normal to me. My first batch ever I had a mixture of krausen and hops for like a week and a half, kinda scared me but its perfectly normal!

Cheers brotha:mug:

Off gassing from CO2 in the solution pushes the yeast to the surface, where they cling together into colonies. Perfectly normal. Once the off-gassing is complete, they'll fall back down. If you don't want to wait that long, I find that giving the side of the bucket a good thump will usually start the sinking of the yeast rafts!

I just racked a beer like this last week. First time I had rafts. I felt it was probably fine due to several days of same FG. I keg'd immediately, carbonated, and drank this week. I will be honest--- it is VERY clear-- maybe the clearest I have had thus far.

I am not saying this to claim it will clarify beer, but rather say that I could not tell it harmed the finished product in any way.

Yes it is doing this to me as well. It doesn't usually work out like this if I pitch fresh commercial yeast, although when I recycle from the last keg it can happen. An infected wort will taste sour instead of alcoholic and will not ever truly turn transparent even if left for months.

Latest posts

Back