Two switches, one outlet (for Chugger pumps)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KarmaCitra

Reaction score
I am looking to add a piece to my "mash tun" stand that will allow me to control both of my Chugger pumps with a switch for each, but both plugged into one outlet. This would appreciate be supplied from an extension cord, plugged into an outlet already in my garage.

I can't seem to find anything around this with good instructions. I'm looking to mount the switches on the side of my stand, and allow for the pumps to be independent of each other. Any advice? I definitely don't want to cut the ends off of the pump cords in case I want to do something different down the road. Thanks!

There’s a small tab that bridges the two receptacles in an outlet. The tab bridges the two hots together so that if one is connected to a hot wire, they are both connected. If you break that tab, the two receptacles can be powered independently.

Alternatively, stick a pair of these in a dual (quad?) outlet box behind a standard dual outlet faceplate...
2016-12-29_0004-650x301.jpg

Cheers!

Alternatively, stick a pair of these in a dual (quad?) outlet box behind a standard dual outlet faceplate...
2016-12-29_0004-650x301.jpg

Cheers!

That is similar to how I have my pump set up...I have a double box, with a switch which controls an entire duplex outlet. Only issue I have with it is it's a few feet away from my brewing stand, and I've come close to serious bodily harm trying to reach the switch in a hurry for some reason and tripping over pump cords, pump hoses, gas hoses, etc. Having a remote switch mounting at or on the brew stand would be a big advantage.

That is similar to how I have my pump set up...I have a double box, with a switch which controls an entire duplex outlet. Only issue I have with it is it's a few feet away from my brewing stand, and I've come close to serious bodily harm trying to reach the switch in a hurry for some reason and tripping over pump cords, pump hoses, gas hoses, etc. Having a remote switch mounting at or on the brew stand would be a big advantage.
I was likely going to mount these switches directly onto the brew stand, to avoid what you describe. Sounds dangerous!

The OP wants the switches (and outlets, I believe) mounted to his brew rig, with input power via an extension cord.
Pretty standard, and that's how my rig is set up...

Cheers!

The OP wants the switches (and outlets, I believe) mounted to his brew rig, with input power via an extension cord.
Pretty standard, and that's how my rig is set up...

Cheers!
Do you have pics and/or drawings on how the wiring was done? Curious to see it, as it sounds I am looking for exactly how yours is set up.

I didn't use the combo switches, I used standard toggle switches and a standard duplex outlet (split) in the front with a GFCI duplex and an AC inlet receptacle in the back, all mounted in plastic boxes with ducting meant for wet installations.

electrical.jpg

(Wishing I had taken a shot from the back).

Anyway, the entire assembly attaches to hard points on my rig...

brew_rigs_02.jpg

The two pumps slide out for use/slide in for storage and transport.

Here's the wiring diagram - pretty simple stuff. If one left off the AC inlet and the GFCI and picked up the wiring from there they'd be in good shape...

electrical_system.jpg

Cheers!

I didn't use the combo switches, I used standard toggle switches and a standard duplex outlet (split) in the front with a GFCI duplex and an AC inlet receptacle in the back, all mounted in plastic boxes with ducting meant for wet installations.

View attachment 582641

(Wishing I had taken a shot from the back).

Anyway, the entire assembly attaches to hard points on my rig...

View attachment 582644

The two pumps slide out for use/slide in for storage and transport.

Here's the wiring diagram - pretty simple stuff. If one left off the AC inlet and the GFCI and picked up the wiring from there they'd be in good shape...

View attachment 582649

Cheers!
How would I power the outlet, just directly with a cut extension cord?

Buy this, they have a newer model that you control with your phone or Alexa if you have one.
Dewenwils Outdoor Remote Control Light Timer with Countdown, Waterproof Heavy Duty Timer Switch with 2 Grounded Outlets, 100feet Range, for Lights/Fountains/Electrical Outlets, 15Amp, UL Listed https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0711DT17X/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Last edited by a moderator:
Buy this, they have a newer model that you control with your phone or Alexa if you have one.
Dewenwils Outdoor Remote Control Light Timer with Countdown, Waterproof Heavy Duty Timer Switch with 2 Grounded Outlets, 100feet Range, for Lights/Fountains/Electrical Outlets, 15Amp, UL Listed https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0711DT17X/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20
The newer model that uses a phone app to control the outlets rather than a separate remote control unit is only $8 more and though I don't have a use in mind for it but I added it to my wish list because I'm pretty sure I'm going to find one.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have the single outlet one. I use it all the time and love it. I use it for brewing and on a pump for recirculating my ice water through the chiller. Also on my DIY keg and fermenter washer. Never liked the idea of plugging in a pond pump to turn it on with wet hands.

IMG_0133.JPG

Thanks day_trippr! Your electrical set-up inspired me.

Male AC Inlet -> (x2) Switch -> GFCI Outlet

...just used 1/2” liquid-tight flexible conduit, and 1/2 nylon liquid-tight fittings instead

Love your idea. Curious what you use the extra GFCI outlet for?
Would it be okay to use the GFCI duplex outlet where your standard duplex outlet is instead of have 2 sets of outlets?

It's been awhile but I don't think the GFCI duplex has separable outlets - ie: both outlets are hard-wired internally to the load side - so you cannot control them independently. So in my layout it's primarily being used as a protection device for everything down-stream, though its own outlets would be available for accessories or powering someone else's rig when at a brewfest...

Cheers!

It's been awhile but I don't think the GFCI duplex has separable outlets - ie: both outlets are hard-wired internally to the load side - so you cannot control them independently. So in my layout it's primarily being used as a protection device for everything down-stream, though its own outlets would be available for accessories or powering someone else's rig when at a brewfest...

Cheers!
I appreciate the diagram, it made it so much easier. Here is my version of it on my brew stand.
IMG_7776.jpg
IMG_7775.jpg
IMG_7777.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_7776.jpg
    IMG_7776.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 21
  • IMG_7775.jpg
    IMG_7775.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 21
  • IMG_7777.jpg
    IMG_7777.jpg