Two stupid questions about 2-row and pils

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bsdx

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I bought a sack of Briess pale 2-row, a sack of Briess 2-row, and a sack of Briess Pilsner 2-row in that order.

1. How do I know what country the Pils is from, is it actually from Pilsen? I can't seem to find information on that sack or from briess.com.

2. I basically don't have a good reason that I bought the sack of 2-row, it was one of those 'it seemed like a good idea at the time' things. In a brief look it seems like many recipes use pale or pils but not plain 2-row. I know the pale contributes more towards head retention and is supposed to be slightly darker. What kind of beers would use 2-row or can I just make some substitutions without a big difference? Is it something I could easily toast or roast into something more common? I haven't opened it yet.

Thanks.

Being a Briess product the Pils is just an English 2 row roasted to a Pils specification. Meaning lighter. The Pale being a touch darker. The Brewers 2 Row being the darkest of the 3.

I am betting no more than 1 SRM difference as they step up. The Pils is prolly 1.8L while the B2R is prolly around 3l to 3.5L.

Haha thanks. I didn't know the B2R would be darker than pale malt. Was trying to fit this information into Beersmith. I somewhat assumed they would all be domestic. Sounds like the B2R will be useful to me. I should probably get it into airtight pails so its less likely to get mauled by the dogs. The pale smelled pretty good and my dog already got into some small amounts of Crystal and some other Belgian specialty grain I think :)

As a follow up question, if I wanted to get a sack of wheat, what type would be first and/or second most common in recipes? Thanks.

Malted......UnMalted

then

Red.........White

after that, it's just roast style for color/nonfermentables.

Being a Briess product the Pils is just an English 2 row roasted to a Pils specification. Meaning lighter. The Pale being a touch darker. The Brewers 2 Row being the darkest of the 3.

I am betting no more than 1 SRM difference as they step up. The Pils is prolly 1.8L while the B2R is prolly around 3l to 3.5L.

The Pale Ale Malt is actually the darker malt compared to the regular 2-Row Brewers Malt. The problem with beersmith WRT these malts is that it doesn't have Pale Ale and regular 2-row separated. I used to bring my beersmith print out to the LHBS and they would give me Briess Pale Ale malt instead of regular 2-row. Beersmith lists "Pale Malt (2-row)" with an SRM of 2.

I e-mail Briess for the lot analysis sheet for the particular sack I'm using and put those numbers into beersmith. Then tweak the recipe as needed. I've seen the potential range from 1.0352 to 1.0360 and the color range from 1.83 to 2.16 for their regular 2-Row.

I e-mail Briess for the lot analysis sheet for the particular sack I'm using and put those numbers into beersmith. Then tweak the recipe as needed. I've seen the potential range from 1.0352 to 1.0360 and the color range from 1.83 to 2.16 for their regular 2-Row.

is that really necessary?

Back