Two smaller kettles for big wort?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wzolla86

Reaction score
Hi all,

I just finished bottling a beer I brewed that was trying to imitate a Dogfish Head Black and Blue, and I think it went pretty damn well, considering how it tasted at bottling! I'm ecstatic about it. I actually got inspiration from a post on this site https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/dogfish-head-black-blue-recipe-326401/

So as great as I think it is, I realize I probably struck with too little water (4 gallons) and I got 1.060 for OG instead of the target 1.080 OG, so I was way off! So if I use more strike water and sparge water next time where I am approaching 8-10 gallons of wort, I hit a limit with my current equipment. I have a 7.5 gallon and a 5 gallon kettle for brewing. Is it advisable to spit the wart up between them? What about adding hops or other various things during the boil? Do you have to make sure you are adding proportional amounts to each pot?

That's what I do and will until I can get a larger kettle. Just monitor both vessels for temp and keep hop additions equal.

Latest posts

Back