Two quick questions.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fireman-Mike

Reaction score
I just finish brewing my first self developed recipe. I tasted the wort for the first time after checking my OG and it was very bitter. Is it normal for the wort to be so bitter or is that actually how bitter my beer will be? Next I used my first pouch of Wyest. I used 1450. Does the yeast spread through the fermenter and resemble tiny pieces of trub or did I just suck that much trub up by accident.

Would need some more information on what you brewed and your method from boil kettle to fermentor and yeast pitching.

My fist addition was Magnum 2g for 60 mins and the other was 3.5 grams of Willamette for 10 mins. It was a one gallon batch.

It was a northern English brown ale. Specialty grains of .25 lbs of crystal 40 and .15 lbs of pale chocolate were steeped for 15 mins at 152°F. Added one pound of light extract. Brought to a boil. Added 2g Magnum hops. At 10 mins left added 3.5 grams of Willamette. After boil was over put the kettle in an ice bath for about 40 mins. Checked OG got 1.047 which is perfect according to my software. Transferred to fermenter. Oxygenated. Pitch some Wyeast 1450. Put on the airlock and put it away to ferment. Everything was properly sterilized.

The brewers friend website said the IBU's were in the correct range for that style of beer.

it should mellow over time, yes. the flavor might be way out of whack if you tasted it before fermenting it too because of other grain flavors in the wort that will change during fermentation. Hop flavor diminishes over time too. the recipes are balanced so they taste right after not before fermentation.

Back