Two kegs, one fine one all foam

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StunnedMonkey

Reaction score
So here's the deal. A little while back I picked up a 7.75 gallon pony keg from a local brewpub. I transferred the beer under ~5# pressure into 2 cornies through the liquid out posts. I put them both in my keezer and connected them to the same co2 regulator at ~10 psi.

I originally tapped corny #1, but had all sorts of problems with excessive foaminess. So for kicks I switched the beverage line to keg #2. It was fine. So I just left it there and kept keg #1 hooked up at 10 psi figuring it'd settle down after awhile. So now a couple of weeks later keg #2 is dry, so I switched the beverage line back to keg #1. It's still nothing but foam. I'm talking foam all along the line. It's been hooked up to the same regulator at the same pressure, and is being dispensed through the exact same line and faucet. (10 ft of 3/16 inch.) But it's complete foam. I'm not talking just a lot of foam. I'm talking all foam. After sitting for 2 weeks undisturbed at 10 psi.

So what can I do? Curious, I bled off the pressure and popped the lid. It literally looks like all foam in the keg, or at least all I can see is foam. I've got 3 gallons of good beer in that thing. What can I do to salvage it?

It seems very strange. The only thing I can think of is that the connectors are switched and you are gassing through the dip tube creating the foam.

It seems very strange. The only thing I can think of is that the connectors are switched and you are gassing through the dip tube creating the foam.

That's actually a really good suggestion, and it makes perfect sense. Unfortunately I just went down and checked and it's not the case. :mad:

Thanks though. Sure seemed logical.

All I can think to do at this point is to drop the psi down low and vent the keg every so often in an effort to let the beer basically go flat. Then carb again over a week or so at 10 and see what happens.

I happen to have a similar situ going on in my keezer.

I have not moved either keg or co2 regulator settings set to 10PSI @ 40degF for at least 3 weeks. Keg 2 foams keg 1 pours nicely.

If I turn off my co2 and purge some co2 on keg 2 it pours fine.

Gunk in poppet valve, or leak in keg? Have you sprayed down the top of the keg to look for leaks?

Latest posts

Back