Two Hearted Ale Clone (Partial Mash)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shunoshi

Reaction score
I tried Two-Hearted Ale for the first time a couple weeks ago and it instantly became my favorite IPA. I'm not a hophead, but I enjoy hop aroma and flavor (I just dislike bitter beers).

I've decided to play with the recipes I've seen for this and have come up with a PM recipe that I think I may try out:

Two-Hearted Ale Clone (Calculated from TastyBrew.com)

Boil Volume 3 gallons
Batch Size 5 gallons
Yeast 75% AA

OG 1.057
FG 1.014
IBU 60 (Adjusted for late extract addition)
ABV 5.5 %
SRM 8

3.75 lbs. American Two-row Pale 44.1 %
0.75 lbs. American Crystal 60L 8.8 %
1.00 lbs. American Vienna 11.8 %
3.00 lbs. Light Dry Malt Extract 35.3 %

0.50 oz. Centennial Pellet 10.5 AAU 9.5 % 60 min.
1.25 oz. Centennial Pellet 10.5 AAU 23.8 % 20 min.
1.50 oz. Centennial Pellet 10.5 AAU 28.6 % 2 min.
2.00 oz. Centennial Pellet 10.5 AAU 38.1 % Dry Hop

Mash grains with 1.5 gallons of water at 154* for 60 min. Batch sparge with 1.5 gallons of 170* water. 1 lb. DME added for entire boil, 2 lb. late addition at 15 minutes.

I figure this should be a decent recipe. It's my first, so not sure what to expect. I don't expect it to taste exactly like Two-Hearted Ale. Who knows, maybe it will. I really love the citrusy floral taste and aroma from this beer. Hopefully I can capture that. I'm sure it'll taste good regardless. :D

Any suggestions are quite welcome.

Dude said:
Looks good!

Curious, is it a given that this is an all Centennial brew?

From everything I've read, Two Hearted Ale is purely Centennial hops...and lots of them! :D

i just brewed a two hearted ale clone- recipe direct from bell's general store, and I started with 1.5 oz centennial, added .75 oz cascade with 30 min left, and finished with .5 oz centennial at 55 mins. Dry hopped in the secondary with 1 oz cascade and .5 oz centennial for 5 days, racked to a tertiary for 2 days, and bottled.

but i knocked up the centennial hops cause i like that flavor much more

That recipe looks ace - I think i'll use that but replace the Centennial with Amarillo or Simcoe and see what happens. :rockin:

Bell's THA is very simple. 2-row, crystal and centennial, thats it. OG around 1.064, FG around 1.012, IBU around 60, ABV around 7%. Try to culture the yeast from their bottle as it is a specific yeast they use, and its really not hard. This is direct from the brewer, not just speculation.

I have one sitting on 2oz dry hop right now and will keg in about 2 weeks so I couldn't tell you how close I got, but my recipe is as follows:

12lbs 2-row
1lb crystal 10L

1oz cent @60
2oz @10
2oz @0
2oz dry hop

Yeast from bottle

Primary 2 weeks
Secondary 2weeks (with dry hops)
keg and carb one week......ENJOY!

I just bottled my Two-Hearted "clone" on Monday:

10lbs 2-row
1.75lbs Vienna
1lb Crystal 60°

1oz Centennial @ 60min
1oz Centennial @ 20min
2oz Centennial @ 5min

I used Safale S-04 dry yeast.

Dry-hopped with 1oz Centennial in secondary.

I'm hoping this'll go down well on Thanksgiving!

Back