*Two* gallon carboys or demijohns

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

z-bob

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Do they exist? I can't find any. I'm looking for something to do small batches where a 3 gallon carboy is too big and a 1 gallon jug is too small (I have both of those already) I guess the obvious answer is to use two 1-gallons but I don't like that.

It doesn't have to be glass. I like glass, but PET or similar plastic would be fine. I have seen some 2 gallon iced tea or agua fresca jars but they have spigots that would be hard to sanitize and I'm not sure the lids seal well enough.

They have a bakery at my local grocery store and they get frosting in 2 gallon buckets. I am generally in there twice a week and if I ask about whether they are throwing any away, they will usually find one or two to give me. They have good fitting lids and clean easily.

Got this 2 gallon Ropak bucket at my LHBS. Don't remember the price but must have reasonable, ' cause I'm cheap!

Attachments

• IMG_20210928_180503.jpg
    IMG_20210928_180503.jpg
    822.6 KB · Views: 3
I got another frosting bucket today at the Food Lion. A neighbor joined a drum circle group here in town and lamented that he didn't have a drum. So I dropped off the bucket for him and drummed on it as he came to the door. Multi purpose 2 gallon buckets. 😎

Do they exist? I can't find any. I'm looking for something to do small batches where a 3 gallon carboy is too big and a 1 gallon jug is too small (I have both of those already) I guess the obvious answer is to use two 1-gallons but I don't like that.

It doesn't have to be glass. I like glass, but PET or similar plastic would be fine. I have seen some 2 gallon iced tea or agua fresca jars but they have spigots that would be hard to sanitize and I'm not sure the lids seal well enough.

I can find 2-gallon food-grade buckets at Lowes around here.

I have 2 gallon buckets, I was just looking for something more carboy-ish. :) I can open a jug without exposing the contents to a big inrush of air but can't do that with a bucket; too much surface area and too large a lid.

I'm about to start a batch of mead and will probably use a bucket at least to start. Maybe a bucket for the primary and 2 jugs for the secondary is the right answer.

Not a full 2 gallons, but the Little Big Mouth Bubblers are nice and hold about 1.5 gallons. For me they are great for getting an actual 1 gallon of finished beer. At first I picked up a pair of the glass ones with spigots (they are a bit heavy and the spigot hole is rather high and a cut rather rough) and I added on a pair of the PET ones with spigots. If you don't want spigots and like glass, this one might fit you: Little Big Mouth Bubbler®

I've never seen two gallon glass or food grade carboys. You might find them through a manufacturer of manufacturing equipment or food packaging supplies but you'll likely have to buy a large quantity to even place an order.

FWIW I've brewed plenty of two gallon batches either in two 4l jugs or one large bucket with no problems with headspace.

I don't know what their called, Pyrex bottles flat bottomed( stir plate) the opening is sized for a universal bung for air lok,and the ones I have are 10 liters with enough head space for krausen with some yeast( not 2565) and some need a blow off. I can't post a picture but got them from a lab that wasn't using them anymore. I think new they are quite expensive,but just what your looking for.

This is a big part of why I took to brewing 3 gallon batches years ago. I have an Anvil
Foundry 6.5 now, but I also still have 5 gallon brewpot and I can brew inside, or on the stove. I use a 5 gallon carboy to ferment in and if I want to do a secondary or settling I have 3 gallon carboys. I pretty much adapted to the standard containers that have been available.

3 gallons is also a decent size. Works out to be 30 bottles, or a case plus a 6 pack. Not much more than 2 gallons.

I'm a fan of ULine's buckets. They sell 1, 2, 3.5, 5, 6, and 7 gallon buckets in many colors including natural (no dye). Everything is FDA Compliant. One lid fits all sizes except 1 & 2 gallon. On top of that, they're cheap. Only downside is you have to buy at least five at a time.

Oh, and they offer gamma seal lids for all but the 1 gallon size.

I have some plastic food-grade translucent tubs that I bought at Sam's with tight fitting lids. A little less than 2 gallons. If they had a wire bale handle instead of molded side handles I would call them buckets :) I think I'll use one of them to start a generous gallon of mead; probably about 5 liters. (a full gallon of water, several pounds of honey, and 18 oz of apricot preserves) And I'm looking at Northern Brewer's website, seriously considering one of the little Bigmouth Bubblers. I just need to pick out about $80 of other stuff to get $20 off and free shipping. A bag of grain will almost do that. Or I can drive up there; it's a fun store to shop.

There's really no problem using the 3-gallon carboys unless you're doing some really long-term aging or something. They'd be absolutely fine for a primary, even with just one gallon.

The only 2-gallon fermenters I've used are food grade buckets from Lowes. Around $6 with a lid, I believe. I have several.

I bought a barrel of Utz cheese balls at Walmart today. I usually buy the larger barrels at Sam's Club because they are a better deal, and my wife likes the empty containers for raising butterflies in the summer, or storing yarn the rest of the year.. The smaller barrels at Walmart and Target look like they probably hold just over 2 gallons. I'll measure it when I finish all the cheese balls.

Latest posts

Back