Twist on White Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

waldzorn

Reaction score
When I first started homebrewing I had a dream. The dream evolved from a book I had called "Field Guide to Edible Wild Plants". Being originally from a small town mid-ontario I had a lot of exposure to bushcraft. The idea of making a beer from purely Canadian wild ingredients was fascinating (Things like syrups, ground roots, wild rice). I have not accomplished this yet, but I have come up with an idea that might be heading in the right direction. A lot of people may be familiar with the staghorn sumac plant. It's basically a giant fuzzy red clump of seeds on an almost palm tree shaped plant. The seeds can be gathered and made into sumac or "indian" lemonade, an amber colored tart drink perfect for hot summer days. I originally thought of using such a plant as an enhancement on a burlin weisse. I have since decided it might be best in the background of a white beer. Another plant I intend to incorperate is the syrup from the birch tree. It is a very rich syrup and may be a good addition. I am not starting this beer now, I will start it when the sumac comes back out. However, I am curious what people think about the idea. Here is a potential recipe:

6.6lbs northwestern weizen LME
0.5lbs special B
1.0oz chinook (30minutes)
1.0oz kent golding (30minutes)
1.0oz cascade (5minutes)
0.5cup pine needles

Adjuncts
1gallon sumac berries
1.0lbs birch syrup
1.0lbs honey

wyeast #3944

Process

These need to be made the night before:
Gather sumac berries, and wash under cold water to remove the hairs. Fill a container with cold water and place berries inside. Cover and let sit at room temperature over night. You need about half a quart of berries per gallon of brew. Bring a pot of water to a boil and then place cleaned pine needles inside. Boil vigorously for 5 minutes and then take off heat and set aside with lid on and leave to steep overnight. Drain everything and add liquid to the kettle at time of brewing.

wash under cold water to remove the hairs.

Boy, I never thought I'd see that in a brewing recipe... In all honesty it sounds like a really cool idea. I have been toying around with the idea of a Wild Rice beer so I can appreciate your idea. Good luck!

Isn't boiling fruit a no-no in that it sets the pectins? Maybe holding it at pasteurization temps would be better.

airborneguy- I'm not sure there is much data out there on the oils in the plant. I had trouble finding any nutrition facts. I've had the stuff many times before, and it's quite good, so I'm curious what fermentation will do. When I get around to it I guess I'll find out how the head holds up.

weirdboy- You're probably thinking if poison sumac. This is staghorn. No rashes.

DavidP- I didn't even think of that. They way sumac lemonade is usually made involves basically just leaving it to sit in cold water for a long time. I was just going to boil the liquid, but do you think a considerable amount of tannin would be leeched into the cold water?

Well the thing is the clarity isn't a problem as it is a white beer, and already cloudy. But I may try pasturizing it by bringing a seperate pot to a boil and then tossing the run off from the lemonade in, covering it with the heat off and leaving it to sit for awhile then adding it into the primary with the rest of the wort.

Have you tried this recipe yet? Very curious. Staghorn would be an interesting addition - as you said, it would raise the acidity of the brew quite a bit. I've been hunting down using pine needles in place of hops in recipies which led me to your thread.

Back