Twist off bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ozzfest05

Reaction score
I've been searching for an answer if you could recap twist off bottles.
Well in Canada anyway alot of our beer is twist off, but, reusable. the beer makers themselves reuse them. However people online curse the twists.

So I was out at my homebrew shop and notice a box of caps label twist replacements. I asked about them and they are a special sealed cap nothing fancy just meant for twist off bottles.

Start the threads by hand then take a cloth and secure them tighty. No capper needed.

Not only that, the owner said loads of people use these without problems and he has never even heard of problems with twist off bottles.

So I would think anyone in Canada questioning twist offs , here's an answer, store owner of 20 years said bam getir done.

If you have a bench capper you can put normal caps on those twist off bottles. I have bottled over 1000 beers in them and have only had 2 that didn't carbonate, and only because those bottles were damaged on the rim.

Yeah, when I first started brewing I was reading anything and everything I could find "aboot" every step of the process. Ran across several poeple online posting that they used the standard caps with the handheld red capper.

This has been a long time ago, but I have a vague memory that the caps sealing up wasn't the big issue, it was getting a lot more bottle bombs since the twist off bottles are made of thinner glass. (In the factory the beer is pre-carbed when it goes into them, so they don't have to stand up to as much pressure.)

Back