Twist off bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Old bearded guy

Reaction score
picked up 12 bottles from an auction (they look like red stripe bottles), went to bottle my latest brew and realized they were twist off bottles, I tried to cap them, but cap wouldn’t seal. Any ideas on where to find caps like this, or do I just cut them in half and turn them into lights?

I don't know of anyone making twist off caps for bottles.

If you are using a handheld capper they won't seal. It has something to do with the way the capper grabs the bottle.
Bench cappers can sometimes get caps to seal.

Twist off bottles are too thin to take the stress of capping. Make them lights for your man cave. BTW, there are retail outlets that sell bottles suitable for capping. Unfortunately for some reason they sell them with this warm flat brown or golden liquid in them that needs to be dumped out first. Perhaps some sort of lubricant? :bigmug:

I've capped twist-off bottles with standard caps using a bench capper. I got mixed results. Most sealed, but maybe 1/4 of them didn't hold the seal. I rounded up standard bottles and threw the twist-offs away.

Back