Twist off bottlecaps?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jvp1

Reaction score
Hi y'all,

I bottled a bunch of beer the other day using some caps that work as either twist off or pry off (depending on the bottle you're using). They worked out as waterproof and none have exploded off (yet?), but should I be worried? Has anyone had any trouble with these in the past?

I tried to recap one twist off bottle reusing the cap it came with. It was flat. There are some folks on here who've had some success using regular caps on twist off bottles.

Early on I tried re-using some twist off bottles and they failed miserably so I no longer use them, it's not worth the risk after all the work and patience to wind up having to re-bottle because they didn't seal properly.

Our Canadian twist off bottles are thicker glass than one time use twist off bottles commonly used in the states. Most of our bottles ( at least my local ones ) are meant to be reused by the breweries.
I have used twist off bottles along with normal caps for more than 25 years without worry.
It is hard to twist off the caps I use, but they can twist off, and can be used on pry off bottles.

I was short for bottles a couple of batches ago and used some old Labatts twistoffs that were laying around after a party. I recapped with the Labatts twistoffs and used a rubber grip to crank them on tight.

They held.

They seem to have worked? I cracked open a test-beer earlier and it was a little carbonated, but not as carbonated as I'd expect after a week.

Our Canadian twist off bottles are thicker glass than one time use twist off bottles commonly used in the states. Most of our bottles ( at least my local ones ) are meant to be reused by the breweries.
I have used twist off bottles along with normal caps for more than 25 years without worry.
It is hard to twist off the caps I use, but they can twist off, and can be used on pry off bottles.

I kind of thought this because I've used all Canadian ones and 1) they seem thicker and 2) pry-off really are the exception.

I've never really thought about the difference in thickness between the glass in twist off and pry off bottles... are you thinking that the twist off bottles won't hold up to the pressure of bottle conditioning? I feel like the biggest concern would just be whether or not they seal enough to allow carbonation to build. I've accidentally bottled a couple beers in some twist off bottles using normal bottle caps without issue aside from a little extra difficulty getting the caps clamped on.

Back