twist off bottle capping

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

superrican

Reaction score
well today i bottled some dopplebock , and it didnt dawn on me why the bottle caps did seem 100% crimped down.... till i came across a Moosehead beer bottle that was a pop off that worked Perfectly....... my concern is i just bottled 20 beer in twist off henry weinhards beer bottles .......i tested each one by inverting it after it was capped to make sure no drips or leaks , they all were fine , but will that affect my carbonation???

I've never tried them. All I've ever heard is don't use twist off bottles. It's not one of those things where you see much, if any in my experience, advice to the contrary.

I think your situation will be a 'wait and see' type scenario. You'll know after 3 weeks or so, depending on storage conditions and the type of beer you brewed of course.

If I recall correctly, I believe I've read somewhere that it's not so much the threaded tops that make using twist off bottles suitable for homebrewing, but the bottles are generally thinner and not the best for holding the relatively high pressures needed for bottle carbonating.

I'd sequester those 20 bottles by themselves in a sealed container just in case you have bottle bombs. If they carb up with no leaks then +1 for you :D

Oh, and if it works I may have to get some of those vortex bottles from my neighbors, for the extra flavor they provide. Perhaps I'll start triple hop brewing as well :)

My primary concern would be regarding the thin glass of the threads, and the potentially inconsistent capping pressure applied, you could easily crack them. This are just not designed for repeated use. I agree with an earlier comment about sequestering this bottle. But only because you should open with care (glass splinters), and not reuse.

No worries, I did the same thing on my first brew. Somethin like half of the bottles were twist-offs. Other than looking like they weren't capped evenly, nothin went bad for me. None of them leaked and I was lucky not to have bottle bombs. Beer was indistinguishable from the normal bottled ones. Probably just need to watch out for it better in the future.

From what I hear the Oxygen barrier caps can work with twist off, but I've never experimented to find out. Put the twist off bottles on the side and test in a few weeks along with bottles that are pry off.

This is as good a time as any to try an experiment. Let us know the results.

We have a guy in our local brew club www.shastasob.org that does it all the time without problems. He has made mention that he used a bench capper so he doesnt have to put any pressure on the neck of the bottle as they are thinner. American beers and English ales sure, Belgiums...I wouldn't try it!.
Cheers
Jay

Back