Tweaking Northern Brewer's Chinook IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jaysquared2

Reaction score
So, just recently moved up from the Mr. Beer 2 gallon batches and got the Northern Brewer 5 gallon equipment kit that has the 2 buckets, 5 gal kettle, and Chinook IPA ingredient kit. I have 2oz of Citra left over that I want to use and combine with this Chinook kit. It's an extract kit. The Chinook is added in a 60, 20, 5, and dry hop. Was thinking the following for the Citra:

Only have enough bottles currently for closer to 4 gallons so lowering it to such (hey, higher ABV) 3.5 gal boil then top off in fermenter.

6lb Pilsen LME
1lb Pilsen DME
0.75 CaraPils 8
0.25 Cara 120

1oz Chinook @60
0.5oz Chinook @20
0.5oz Citra @15
0.5oz Chinook @5
0.5oz Citra @5
1oz each dry hopped

Looking to get most of the bittering from Chinook while keeping the additions on par with the recipe and want mostly the citrus flavor/aroma from the Citra.

Any thoughts/suggestions? My brew calc puts this at about 60IBUs. Thanks.

Get rid of he 20 minute addition. Do it as the recipe says to do it, but add the Citra at the same times as the Chinook (10, 1, and dry). The 20 minute addition is just a waste. The 15 minute isn't doing much either.

I think the Citra addition will be good, but I do like all Chinook brews.

Doing 4 vs 5 gallons will change the balance. It could be in a good way, but why gamble. Make 5 gallons, it may end up as 4.5 in the bottle. Surely, you can find a few extra bottles. Drink a couple of Commercials while you are waiting.

Back