Tweaking my first brew.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jamison

Reaction score
:mug: My first batch was a Strong Dark Belgian (extract with specialty grains). The recipe I used called only for CaraMunich grains. It turned out great. It was supposed to be a Rochefort 8 clone, but tastes almost exactly like New Glarus ABT (I wasn't really expecting Rochefort 8). My only complaint is that it could be a tad darker, a little more raisiny and have better head retention/lacing.
I plan on doing an IPA next, but after that I want to revisit the SDB. I plan on doing a mini-mash next time. I was thinking of adding some Aromatic Malt and a tad bit of Choclolate and/or Special B malt for color and raisin flavor. For the head retention/lacing should I try to improve it with grains or would I get good results just by priming with some DME or Munton's Kreamy X? I just used corn sugar in my first batch.
Thanks!

Thanks, didn't realize Dextrin malt was AKA CaraPils. I will put that on my shopping list. I have kind of a gunslinger mentality in the kitchen so I was thinking of getting the brewsmith software to help me put together my mini-mash recipe. I'm afraid I might over do it if I don't. Any experience with that?

I was looking at getting brewsmith stuff to help me as well and I decided that it wasn't worth it. There are plenty of great recipes (both all grain and extract + speciality grains) out there and a few quick searches will lead to free stuff on the Internet that more or less mimic exactly that it does. Honestly, to develop great recipes I would get 2 books,

The first is "The Complete Joy of Homebrewing Third Edition" by Papazian (amazon link: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0060531053/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20)

The second, once you are about 8-10 batches in and have the process down is:
"How to Brew: Everything You Need To Know To Brew Beer Right The First Time" by Palmer (amazon link: http://www.amazon.com/dp/0937381888/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20)

I have found that with these two books, it's far better than any software that I could have and packed with more information than is even remotely useful, though it gives you something to talk about endlessly at parties.

Disclaimer: I am not affiliated at all with any of the above authors or publishers, I do however believe that these two books should be in the library of any home brewer (and most likely are).

As far as over-doing it, I do it all the time and it produces excellent to indifferent results. After reading the books, I have yet to produce a truly bad beer. Basically, get the books, read some of it to get an idea about what you want to do, and ask people on forums and message boards.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back