Tweaking an IPA recipe with yeast changes.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SullyHB

Reaction score
Kegged my first IPA over the weekend, and it's carbed up nice, a little green still, but that's okay. Had a few questions for you guys. . .

I kind of threw together a hop profile with the stuff I had on hand as it was the first time I have tooled around with a crystal-less malt profile.

Projected gravity on this was 1.065 with an FG of 1.012. It ended up finishing out at 1.008-9ish range. It has a very interesting passionfruity/mellony/citrus medley going on that I like a lot. However it's VERY dry. I hardly consider myself a fan of malty sweet ipas/iipas but it's a bit dry even for me. I was hoping some maltiness would let that fruits pop more.

Yeast used was WLP001. Would trying Nottingham, WLP002, or perhaps Safale04 perhaps bring the FG more into the 1.016-1.012 range? I am trying to avoid adding crystal malts as I don't want the "caramel" type sweetness, prefer it to be a breadier type. I don't know if "recipes" section of the forums would have been a better place for this, but I suspected this is a yeast specific problem.

9lbs 2-Row
2.5lbs Vienna
1lb Munich
12oz Victory
.5lb Carapils

.5oz Chinook - FWH
.5oz CTZ - FWH

1oz CTZ - 20

1oz Citra -10
1oz Zythos - 10 (had it on hand)

2oz Cascade - 0
1oz Simcoe - 0

.5oz Simcoe - DH
.5oz Citra - DH
.5oz CTZ - DH
.5oz Chinook - DH
1oz Zythos - DH
1oz Cascade - DH

Any assistance on this would be much appreciated. Hop profiles tend to vary a lot for me as it just happens to be what I can get or what I feel like throwing in there from my freezer. :D

You can dial this in by using a lower-attenuating English ale yeast as you suggested, and/or mashing at a higher temp.

I mash my crystal-free IPA's at 150F and use WLP002 or S-04, and they usually finish around 1.012 - 1.014.

Third on the higher temp. As to the breadiness I would say to add some pale malt to the 2 row. Maybe try a 50/50 split with pale and 2 row and keep going from there.

Well, I think some of the dryness is from the beer being a bit green. I'm having one now and it is EXCELLENT.

Still going to try an English yeast for fun, but man it's good.

Back