TV Shows you've given up on.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Giving up on: American Choppers and if they don’t find any gold in Alaska, they need to give it up.
Still like: some travel, history and discovery with DVR’n Scooby Doo, Hidden Cites and a couple swamp shows and I watch maybe one of those shows (and you get the whole season)

Giving up on American Choppers?

I used to watch that show constantly, but at a certain point not that far in they became unwatchable (IMHO). I used to love watching them make things like the POW bike, but then it just all seemed to be commercial business they were doing. The fighting, you knew a lot of it was faked, but you could kind of sense a real tension at the beginning - but then they just seemed to play it up more and more because it was expected.

And, if they want to ***** and moan because they can't figure out how to split up the millions that they're making, that's fine... but don't expect much sympathy from me.

Archer was hilarious in its first season. Second season was solid but not as many laughs. Third season is starting to lose me.

Seeing the same trend for Always Sunny. The last two seasons just haven't been as good.

Spartacus, it's just not the same since Andy Whitfield died.

The prequel was eh, with a terrible finale....I haven't even started watching season 2, though I do plan to eventually. The first season was really damn good. I'll still go back and re-watch it from time to time.

Another one was Entourage. I enjoyed the earlier seasons, and though I watched it through to the end, the last season did not pick up from the previous season. Season 7 ended with such an intense moment, then season 8 comes and everything's back to the fluff n stuff...they could have done a much better job.

Looking forward to Game Of Thrones Season 2

Seeing the same trend for Always Sunny. The last two seasons just haven't been as good.

I almost thought I knew the exact moment when Always Sunny was going to jump the shark....when the gang is singing and dancing at their reunion...I looked at my wife and said "this is it"...but just as I said that... the scene cuts to fat Mac with his shirt open singing like a dying cat. Awesome!

Agreed, although the ending to the season finale cracked me up. Season 1-3 were gold though. Hard to top that.

I almost thought I knew the exact moment when Always Sunny was going to jump the shark....when the gang is singing and dancing at their reunion...I looked at my wife and said "this is it"...but just as I said that... the scene cuts to fat Mac with his shirt open singing like a dying cat. Awesome!

Haha that was what sealed that episode.

Deadliest Catch. Phil died, Sig went soft, Edgar retired, and they started over producing it. First few seasons were great because they still had a rawness to them.

Oh yeah - I forgot about Deadliest Catch. Haven't seen that for a long time.

I can add a couple more to my list

TV News.
A$$holes building motorcycles AKA American Chopper or Congress building Bikes

I recently discovered Breaking Bad thanks to Netflix and like the show a lot. I don't watch a whole lot of tv though. I used to watch House, but after the first couple of episodes, it got very predictable. I watched an episode last week and its just campy and cringing, not sure how I ever liked it. I also watched Bones, the first season was okay, but again its a very predictable show. Sometimes I like watch home shows to see gullible first time home buyers get marginally sized homes with .2 acres of land for insane prices because they cannot fathom living 5 miles outside of a city and trust a realtor that immediately shows them homes $30-$50k above their budget.

Archer was hilarious in its first season. Second season was solid but not as many laughs. Third season is starting to lose me.

Blasphemer! It's the subtle one liners in this show that crack me up.

Agree on the Always Sunny.

"The League."

Excellent first season. Juvenile humor, but a lot of "smart" dumb jokes.

Second season.... mostly "meh."

Second season was just as good as the first. The third season ended with back to back duds. However, I about pissed myself during the Thanksgiving Episode. "I can't eat sorbet like that!"

I really had a hard time getting through this years SOA. And the finale was ****e. The whole "The irish stole my baby" from the season before was annoying too. The way Jax was being a little puss reminded me of Brad Pitts' "What's in the box?!!?!".

The River. Made it through an episode and a half. Got my wife hooked on "Revenge", and haven't watched it since before christmas. Think I'm over it. But, as was pointed out, Justified is back on. FX produces some good shows.

What season is Always Sunny on?

The first two seasons are probably the best comedy ever made. Then there was a season (might have been third or fourth) that was pretty weak, then it came back strong for a season. The Day Man Cometh and the poop episode? Fantastic.

Then weak again.

according to imdb, they just completed season 7. I think season 5 was the best, "Frank gets an Intervention", "The World Series Defense", etc. Though "CharDee MacDennis" episode this year was pretty damn funny.

Dance Moms and Jerseylicious.

I've given up on Tosh.0, it was funny at first but your can only watch a subpar standup comedian read mediocre one liners from a teleprompter for so long.

Now, if they came out with a show titled "Clubbing (read: beating) Dance Moms and Beverly Hills Housewives with the Kardashians" or "What Not to Wear When Hillbilly Hand Fishin'" then you might have something...:ban:

+1000 on the History Channel having absolutely nothing to do with history any more. Too bad, too.

I lose interest in a show when it starts turning into a dang soap opera. Shows like CSI, NCIS, House, Bones etc. all started out great, but then they started spending more time on who was sleeping with whom than actually solving cases. That is when I lose interest.

One show that, unfortunately, is no longer being made was from BBC called Wire in the Blood. THAT was an awesome show, but it got canceled due to production costs.

Bernie Brewer said:
One show that, unfortunately, is no longer being made was from BBC called Wire in the Blood. THAT was an awesome show, but it got canceled due to production costs.

I'm sure you'll see an american version show up just like all the others!! Hollywood has lost all originality it seems.... :mug:

The only show that consistently does it for me is First 48. I love that show because it is the closest to the real thing that any cop show has ever been. "Cops" is BS because a lot of the time the cops are playing it up for the camera. And besides, routine patrol is something I'm fairly familiar with anyway ;).

I was never really a fan of the show, but I do remember one time I saw it there was a cop on there who saw a house on fire, and went up to the front door to alert the residents and get them out of there. The front door was one of those metal grids with little 2 to 3-inch square windows. So he bangs on the door, rings the doorbell, and then starts busting out these little windows and still cannot reach through to open the door, so he just keeps busting out more of them even though doing so provides no access whatsoever to the other side.

Finally some lady comes to the door and opens it up, and she's like "WTF is your problem, officer?"

He's like, "Ma'am you have to get out, your house is on fire!"

She says "No, it isn't."

Then he looks, and realizes that the fire was actually at a different house on the other side of the block. So, he busted this lady's door for absolutely no reason.

I have occasionally watched it again, but never saw anything remotely as funny as that.

I've given up on all sitcoms since "Cheers" And even then I didn't really watch the last couple of seasons. All the new ones are retreads of the same sucky plots.

Second season was just as good as the first. The third season ended with back to back duds. However, I about pissed myself during the Thanksgiving Episode. "I can't eat sorbet like that!"

Maybe I have the seasons wrong, I was thinking there was only two. The most recent season, I stopped watching pretty early on.

Family Guy: Simpsons did it.
Simpsons: Simpsons did it.
Jersey Shore: I was DTF till I found out JWoww isn't even a guidette!
Family Ties: Jennifer grew up.
Who's the Boss?: Not Tony.
All in the Family: Been waiting for a new episode for 32 years. Ok...maybe I'll hang in there for just one more season.
Smurfs: Not plausible.
MacGuyver: Too plausible.
Full House: Kimmy.
Happy Days: Jumped the shark.
Today: What kind of name is Hoda Kotb?
Price is Right: Drew Carey - the price is wrong, *****.
Judge Judy: 5 minutes till Wapner.
Jeopardy: Suck it, Trebek.
American Chopper: Way too old school. Wanna see some CNC fabricated bolt ons.
Pawn Stars: Never pawn ****!
Swamp People: Not gonna wait much longer for Merman to make an appearance.
The Fantastic Four: Spiderman.
Spiderman: Batman.
Batman: Robin.
Ice Road Truckers: Himalayas.
Bosom Buddies: Wait. Nevermind.
Greatest American Hero: Lacking a manual should not be equivalent to kryptonite.
Star Trek: Voyager.
Full Metal Jousting: Can't you just ****ing say "target" instead of "Gridded Grand Guard?!?!" Uppity turkey leg peddlers.
Are you there, Chelsea?: Yes. She plays your sister. Wait, what?

TV sucks these days. Thank goodness for netflix and old shows on DVDs like...

Wild Wild West
McHale's Navy
Hogan's Heros
Gunsmoke

Call me an old fart, but I enjoy watching the old ones. Today's TV is a waste of time.

EdWort said:

Wild Wild West
McHale's Navy
Hogan's Heros
Gunsmoke

Call me an old fart, but I enjoy watching the old ones. Today's TV is a waste of time.

What, no black sheep

Wild Wild West
McHale's Navy
Hogan's Heros
Gunsmoke

You should try Phil Silvers, although apparently netflix only has it on DVD.

Most recently, I gave up on Burn Notice. Fiona is starting to resemble Skeletor. I would still watch a show where Bruce Campbell orders food at Taco Bell, because that guy is really great.

I wanted to like Up All Night because I like Will Arnett and the show describes my life, but I gave up after three episodes of identifying with one situation and laughing at one joke.

As I'm typing this on my phone, I'm watching Go Diego Go. A big step up from Dora, but nowhere near Pingu or Shawn the Sheep. I watch too much children's programming, on account of the childrens.

Most recently, I gave up on Burn Notice. Fiona is starting to resemble Skeletor. I would still watch a show where Bruce Campbell orders food at Taco Bell, because that guy is really great.

I'm still Burn Notice, Fiona could become Skeletor and as long as she speaks in the same voice as she/he/it is hovering over my turgid **** I'll be happy still.:p

Overall it still has managed to hold my attention. The case is too good I think, to lose me.

I still LOVE Burn Notice! I am giving up on the "Chef Ramsey shows" slowly. He's such an a$$hole and they are always so dumb... so it's hard to give up. Some are very predictable.

I still LOVE Burn Notice! I am giving up on the "Chef Ramsey shows" slowly. He's such an a$$hole and they are always so dumb... so it's hard to give up. Some are very predictable.

Really? I actually enjoy Kitchen Nightmares. Getting *****-slapped around by Gordon Ramsay is exactly the wake-up call some of those restaurant owners need.

Really? I actually enjoy Kitchen Nightmares. Getting *****-slapped around by Gordon Ramsay is exactly the wake-up call some of those restaurant owners need.

I can't quite put my finger on *what* the differences are, but I love the British version and abhor the American one. I think it's mostly production values. The American one seems to have a lot more music all cued up waiting to tell me exactly how to feel at any given moment. It also seems like the American show is filled with restaurateurs who are just ********, whereas the Brit guys seem mostly like people who have just gotten in over their heads.

I can't quite put my finger on *what* the differences are, but I love the British version and abhor the American one. I think it's mostly production values. The American one seems to have a lot more music all cued up waiting to tell me exactly how to feel at any given moment. It also seems like the American show is filled with restaurateurs who are just ********, whereas the Brit guys seem mostly like people who have just gotten in over their heads.

Beat me too it. The UK Gordon Ramsey often times seems calmer, as if his "american" persona is a caricature of himself. And if you've ever seen "Gordon Ramsey's F Word" you may agree even more.

Oh, and I'm worried about Dirty Jobs, now. Mike Rowe was in what looked to be some old, formerly-glorious hotel somewhere, literally washing quarters for their customers who like their money shiny. I have to imagine their clientele is all 85 year old men (who the hell carries pocket change?). It was phenomenally uninteresting; I mean, they spent about thrree hours to wash maybe $40 in coin.

Just made me think - all those times Mike warned us that they were running out of ideas, I don't think he was kidding!

Back