Turning cider to vinegar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fredboivin

Reaction score
So I woke up to a thin film of the dreaded white powder on top of my 5gal batch of English cider. This is my first infected batch, but I had it coming: I neglected to sterilize my orchard apple juice...

Instead of dumping it, I plan to turn it to cider vinegar. How easy is it to do that? How can I tell that the infection will not badly affect the vinegar taste?

Thanks!

So I woke up to a thin film of the dreaded white powder on top of my 5gal batch of English cider. This is my first infected batch, but I had it coming: I neglected to sterilize my orchard apple juice...

Instead of dumping it, I plan to turn it to cider vinegar. How easy is it to do that? How can I tell that the infection will not badly affect the vinegar taste?

Thanks!

It might come out poorly, depending on what the infection is, or might be good. I had an infected batch that came out smelling like dirty socks, so I might not be too hopeful but it's worth a shot.

If you add a mother, it should get going as long as it's in the 5-7% ABV range.

Back