Turning "12 Gallon Poly Barrel" into Fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaveC

Reaction score
Hey All... I'm brand new here, never posted before but have been brewing for years. I'm recently working out what kind of set up I can use to ferment large volumes of beer. I am going to use some plastic conicals... but also hoping to use some of these if I put some valves on the bottom, and grommets on the lid for air lock / blow off tubes. Check them out :

http://newjersey.craigslist.org/grd/4295273952.html

I spoke to the seller today and he said other people have purchased them intending to use them as fermenters also... he doesn't know much about the material they're made of only that it was for shipping "bagged coffee extract" ... whatever that means.

I looked at some Spiedel plastic fermenters that are essentially the same shape, size and even have the same style lids and handles as these tanks... how can I know for sure that what this guy is offering will be safe to use as a fermenting vessel?

Any advice, suggestions or answers will be greatly appreciated.

Any "triangle" symbols on the vessel anywhere, that might relate to the recycle-ability or type of plastic?

You'll get differing opinions, but for fermenting, you won't see any temperatures that should cause the plastic to give off any "nasty' s".

Just my opinion.

I have a couple of 66 gallon plastic barrels that pickles were shipped in, to be used for fermenters.........For making "fuel".......;)

Those look nice!

Any "triangle" symbols on the vessel anywhere, that might relate to the recycle-ability or type of plastic?

You'll get differing opinions, but for fermenting, you won't see any temperatures that should cause the plastic to give off any "nasty' s".

Just my opinion.

I have a couple of 66 gallon plastic barrels that pickles were shipped in, to be used for fermenters.........For making "fuel".......;)

Those look nice!
I asked the seller about all that... he didn't know. Seems like he gets these in bulk and sells them however... but since I asked a lot of questions, he didn't want to lie and since I rather be safe than sorry... I am collecting info and your opinions before I move forward... I plan to buy a whole bunch of these if they will work out. Seems like the guy has a connection and I can prob get a hold of however many I want / need.

You might take a look at these, if you are worried about the type of plastic.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Beer-Cooler...d=100012&prg=1014&rk=3&rkt=5&sd=190915016023&
I think these are explained really well... I feel comfortable purchasing them... for sure.. however, shipping is going to kill me. I am hoping that the ones in question will pan out because they're local for me... and I can get pretty much as many as I want / need. Although... it's good to see that ones like this are out there, priced just as fairly... excluding shipping if I decide to go that route. Thanks!

I'm wondering if anyone knows where I can buy rubber grommets to install on the lids of the poly barrels that will fit air locks. I don't want to cut a bung hole into the lid, I was thinking maybe McMaster might have the grommets... anyone ever do this? Or know the part number for McMaster? Or anywhere else that might have these. My local home brew shops do not sell loose grommets. Any help would be awesome.

you have to drill a hole to put in a grommet. You can find them online at a number of homebrew shops. I got a bag of them recently but for the life of me cannot remember where they came from. Don't think here but found some here: http://labelpeelers.com/grommet-bag-of-25-p-3621.html

Northern Brewer sells them individually as well: http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/grommet-for-lid.html
Nice. Thanks for the info. Have you converted one of these poly barrels into a fermenter yourself? If so, any off flavors in the beer afterward or other issues I may need to look out for?

haven't used those but I use the grommets for regular buckets.. you can get 2G and 5G buckets and lids real cheap at home depot and just drill a hole and pop a grommet in and voila.. a new fermenter. I am interested in these containers though but I am more worried about lifting the damn thing with 10G of wort in it.

Back