turkey fryer vs stock pot

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
im looking to get my own brew pot and cant decide between a 30 qt stock pot or a turkey fryer the same size

specifically
-pros and cons of each
-how much propane does a fryer burn?
-is aluminum really that bad for brewing?

my advice to you... get the best/biggest pot that suites your current setup, with $$ as a factor as well.

so if you plan on brewing 5gal batches try and get at least a 7gal or so, so you can do full boils. this depends on, of course, whether you have a burner capable of bring that much volume to a boil. not too much help, but some advice I should have read before I bought my first kettle.

I have a 10 gallon stainless economy pot (thin walled) really wish it had a ball valve to drain it after chilling, siphoning sucks.

I have a 10 gallon stainless economy pot (thin walled) really wish it had a ball valve to drain it after chilling, siphoning sucks.

I know ten gallons gets heavy but can't you just dump it into a funnel may need an extra pair of hands...

Yes siphoning does suck.

Do you mean a stainless steel stock pot?

If you don't have a burner yet, and you are talking about a turkey fryer kit with a burner, get that. It's usually a much better deal, and aluminum pots are lighter and transfer heat better.

There is nothing wrong with brewing in aluminum. I wish people would stop saying that because it is retarded.

You can add one to yours. I did to my 15 gallon pot. Love it.

To OP, get the biggest pot you can afford and store. You will want to make 10 gallon batches eventually. Trust me.

You can add one to yours. I did to my 15 gallon pot. Love it.

To OP, get the biggest pot you can afford and store. You will want to make 10 gallon batches eventually. Trust me.

I have been brewing a pretty long time and never felt a desire to brew 10 gallon batches, but I do often make smaller 2.5-3 gallon batches of some stuff. I've got all the equipment I need to brew 10 gallon batches, but never have.

Actually have a small tear in top edge of steel on pot from pouring all 5.5 gallons... and yes I need a bigger siphon... It's on my list from Santa. that or a drain valve

+1 on the biggest you can afford. A buddy of mine is looking to get one. He found a good deal on a 15 gallon on Amazon. SS

Back