Turkey fryer burner connected to house?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nicadrick

Reaction score
:confused:Hey all you brainiac brewers, Is it possible to connect a turkey fryer burner directly to house hold black pipe supply. In my case, I have a 500 gallon propane tank our front to supply all of our household needs, furnace, cook top, and water heater, BBQ on patio, etc.

It only make sense that I should be able to connect my brewing rig similarly. Why pay to fill a 5 gal protable tank when I have 500 gals out front?

I have been able to find the connection to make it all work, but with regulator/control valve in place the burner becomes over regulated. Has anyone been able to find the correct orifice and control valve without the regulator?

The local BBQ shop dude said that I shouldn't be able to do it because the burner/regulator expects tank pressures.

I seems that if I remove the regulator, install a control valve, and connect to the regulated house supply I should be in business. Heck there is enough pressure to make huge flame at the furnace and water heater.

Have any of been able to do this? Please advise.

Don't know how your tank is setup, but my tank has a high pressure regulator (60 psi). That feeds a line up to the house, where there is a very low pressure (<10") regulator. My burner needs 10 psi.

My propane guy is cool. I just leave my portable tanks down by the main tank and he fills them. He'd even top off the RV back when I had one.

I use my house propane (low pressure) to a Hurricane burner from Northern Brewer without the regulator. The regulator is for the 5 gallon hi pressure tanks. Works great, no more worrying about running out, filling tank hassle, etc. The Hurricane burner uses low pressure, so if your turkey fryer is high pressure it will not work. You can reduce prssure with a regualtor, but you cannot increase. So you need the Hurricane burner.

I use natural gas supply from my house. I use it for my gas fireplace, furnace, water heater, my grill and my homebrew kettle. It is low pressure (~ 6 inH2O) so it requires a natural gas burner with larger orifices. I use the multi-jet burner from Cajun Cooking. It is awesome, I never worry about running out of gas. I can bring 5 gallons tap water to a boil in about 10 minutes.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000E2VTO/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Last edited by a moderator:
You can put the old regulator setup on the shelf and replace the high pressure jet with the low pressure LP jet, purchase a valve, hose and connector and you should be good to go. Be aware when the gas pressure is reduced the total output of the burner is reduced also, you might need to go with the 10" Banjo/Hurricane burners to get enough heat for larger boil kettles.

Back