Turkey fryer and Hop Leftovers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

foyt20

Reaction score
Two questions:

When using a turkey fryer for a complete extract boil, how much water does one start with? 5 Gallons or 6 gallons or....

And, at then end of cooling off a pot of an extract kit, what does one do with all of the leftover matter at the bottom of the pot? Does it go in the primary fermenter or the garbage can?

Thanks guys
:mug:

I do partial boils so on 5 gallon batches I usually boil 3 gallons of water and then top off after the boil is over. For the leftover hops I pour my wort into a bucket that has a 5 gallon nylon paint strainer bag in it. I then pull the bag out of the wort and along with it comes all of my hops.

boil off will depend on a few factors including how vigorous your boil is but generally 1gal / hour is a good starting assumption

i also factor in loss from trub/hops/racking etc so I try to shoot for 5.5 gal in my primary bucket and generally start with about 6.5-7gal for the boil

Kind of depends on how the recipe is formulated...
If I put the recipe into beersmith with a 5gal. boil volume for a 5gal. batch, I start with 5 gal and top-up whatever I'm left with at the end of the boil to 5gal in the fermenter. If the recipe calls for a 3 gallon boil, I start with 3 and top-up whatever I'm left with to 5 gallons, etc.
Some people like to start with a larger boil volume to end up with 5gal. at the end of the boil. I've never done this, but you would just calculate the recipe based on a 6gal. boil volume for a 5gal. batch, etc. Same as above, only you're accounting for a larger boil volume and you won't need to top-up at the end...
The reason for doing all this is to hit your target IBU's while accounting for differences in hop utilization: as boil volume increases, hop utilization increases; and vise versa.

I use hop bags during the boil for pellet hops and remove them when pouring the cooled wort into the fermenter. If using whole hops, I use a paint strainer bag stretched over the funnel to catch all the hops when pouring the cooled wort. In either scenario, there's always some trub that gets into the fermenter. This is nothing to worry about: I haven't noticed a difference between either method, even though I get more hop particles in the carboy when using pellet hops. If your beer sits on the trub for only 3 or 4 weeks, you won't notice any resulting off flavors.

When i was cooling this weekend, i poured into the fermenter, and there was trub in the pot. I actually poured it in (yeah, im still learning) to the fermenter. Guess i should have just left it there.

When i was cooling this weekend, i poured into the fermenter, and there was trub in the pot. I actually poured it in (yeah, im still learning) to the fermenter. Guess i should have just left it there.

Don't worry about it. Some people don't even strain the trub and pour everything into the fermenter. It won't negatively effect the beer unless it's sitting in there for months at a time (there's actually a lot of debate about whether it effects the beer at all, even if it's in there for 3 or 4 months.) So, 3 or 4 weeks will certainly be fine.

Back