Turbo yeast to make "vodka"?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark228

Reaction score
Hi I bought some Alcotec 48 Turbo yeast and have it fermenting away nicely with 8kg of sugar in 25lt. Just wondering if anyone else has tried this non-distillary "moonshine" technique and has any tips for it? It says you don't need to add anything else to make a "vodka" but what could I make out of this basic "spirit" that would be nice to try? Will it go clear like my Lager does (as it looks milky at the moment)? I've seen something mentioned about filtering through carbon, what does that entail?

http://www.turbo-yeast.biz/english/alcotec48.htm

Thanks for any advice!

Mark228 said:
Hi I bought some Alcotec 48 Turbo yeast and have it fermenting away nicely with 8kg of sugar in 25lt. Just wondering if anyone else has tried this non-distillary "moonshine" technique and has any tips for it? It says you don't need to add anything else to make a "vodka" but what could I make out of this basic "spirit" that would be nice to try? Will it go clear like my Lager does (as it looks milky at the moment)? I've seen something mentioned about filtering through carbon, what does that entail?

Thanks for any advice!

I got a hangover headache just looking at those directions. If you've never had moonshine before, be prepared for a god-awful morning after.

Cheesefood said:
I got a hangover headache just looking at those directions. If you've never had moonshine before, be prepared for a god-awful morning after.
Is it that bad (or good lol)? With it not being distilled does that mean more of a hangover causer or just the alcohol content? I'll try anything once or twice :drunk: I'd seen those spirit/liqueur kits you can buy and this is basically the same thing so I figured I'd give it a go.

I've made it once before (only a gallon), just to test the distiller's yeast. It fermented hot with all of the normal problems. It was very good for sanitizing things & using in the airlock, but one sniff was enough. I'd suggest mixing with the bug juice of your choice & laying in a supply of aspirin.

First of all...this is not going to be Vodka.

You can distill what you get after fermentation, and it will still not be vodka. Vodka is made from Potatoes. Your flavor will be different.

What you will have is some 15-20% 30-40 proof crap that tastes like bong water that has some type of cleaner in it. If you distill it you can get rid of a bunch of the bad taste but you will not end up with vodka....it would be more like Everclear.

Fermenting straight table sugar is going to produce alot of fusel alcohols which will not mellow with age. You also have nothing there to add flavor to you brew to cover up the bad tasting alcohol.

In short....you wasted your sugar and yeast.

I drank Everclear once (the 198 proof type; not this weak 40 proof type) and it was the last time I ever drank it.

I dropped a shot into about 20oz. of Gatorade and the entire 21.5oz. tasted like rubbing (or maybe worse) alcohol. After about 3 of these I was side-ways silly and the headache the next day was the worse thing I can remember in a while...

Brew some beers or wine, but stay away from this stuff. Save your money and buy your liqour at the wine and spirits.

Is there not such a thing as rye vodka? Belvedere makes a big deal about it on their little neck-tied card.

Vodka as defined by the Gov. is a clear nuetral spirit. Most US vodka is made from grain and not potatoes. Even Russian vodka is only sometimes made from potatoes. It is a distilled product and unless you distill your ferment you don't have vodka. Likewise, Moonshine is a distilled beverage, most often made from corn. Turbo yeast is simply going to give you a strong, dry sugar wine at best and definately not what you are expecting. Turbo yeast is a yeast that is highly alcohol tolerant, but even still it won't make spirits of any kind. Distilling is a process of seperating chemical elements through the use of heat. It is the same process basically no matter if you are refining crude oil or making scotch whiskey. In the case of distilling fermentables, one of those elements is alcohol, another is water and others include methane and a few other nasties that I won't mention because they are also in the beer we make and drink because they have not been removed by distillation. The art of distillation is the science of seperating the elements you want from those you don't want. In the case of Vodka you want alcohol and nothing else, thus the nuetral spirits definition from the gov.

Somewhat truth, but my grandfather made moonshine and he would be the first one to remind you that the 10% of moonshine that is not pure alcohol holds all the flavor. Good or bad!

Same goes with Vodka. It is only 90 proof which is less than half alcohol. The other half is mainly water but it does contain flavor.

What they sell as vodka today is mostly just "Grain Alcohol". Real Vodka is made with potatoes and you can really taste the difference between it and Grain Vodka. I would guess that the biggest difference is the amount of nasty byproducts that potatoe fermentation produces.....it produces much less than that of the grain vodka. This would be a case of the grain vodka containing more flavors(nasty ones) and not being as smooth as the potatoe vodka.

Of course filtration also plays a big factor in the taste and smoothness.

Calling grain alcohol "Vodka" is akin to calling beer made with rice and corn....."Beer"

And here was me getting all excited I was gonna have something drinkable. :( The guy at the Home Brew shop said it was just the same as these kits:

Vodka Kit :confused: Well at least I have a lager or stout I can start instead.

dougjones31 said:
What they sell as vodka today is mostly just "Grain Alcohol". Real Vodka is made with potatoes and you can really taste the difference between it and Grain Vodka.

My favorite sipping vodka (read: pull the bottle out of the freezer, pour it into a highball) is one made by Hangar One, which is made from a particular kind of white grape. Great stuff!

Mark228 said:

Thanks for any advice!

The sole purpose of a sugar wash is to distill it and to try and drink it even with charcoal filtering would not be a good idea,as pointed out in the thread.
I use both the Alcotec and Gert Strand Turbo 48 and of the two the latter is far superior with a far less violent fermentation.
I use a simple converted water distillation unit with an in line activated charcoal filter and after discarding the first 10 mil heads end up with a very acceptable neutral spirit of about 45 % abv,you can of course distill again to get 90% abv,
you can then add any essence of your choice to taste.
Cheers !!:mug:

Vodka = Neutral Spirits + Water.

Neutral spirit is closer to something you would find in a science lab, than a liquor store shelf. It's just alcohol. It looks like this:

ethanol.gif

With all the heavy taxes on liquor, it's cheap and easy to buy everclear, dillute it 50/50 with water, and you've got ~45% ABV vodka. It doesn't taste nearly as good as a "real" vodka, but it's not too far off from the crappy ones you find on your liquor store's bottom shelf either.

Read up on making vodka- basically, you distill neutral spirits, and then add water. This is what ALL of the distilleries do. The guy who said that vodka only comes from potatoes, I dunno where he gets that from. It'd be like saying oil only comes from the desert. Go walk around any liquor store and many labels will say, "distilled from grapes"; "100% potato vodka"; "vodka made from grain" etc... As long as you have alcohol ready to distill, you can create vodka from it. It doesn't matter what you use as a sugar because the goal is a "neutral" spirit- that means you're trying to strip out all the flavor from the base ingredients. You can even distill wine and create neutral spirits from that. Some french vodkas do that- they use second-rate wine grapes. But really, it matters little because the goal is to get rid of all the flavors and just wind up with pure 100% ethyl alcohol. Of course, that's not possible, you only wind up with about 80-90% alcohol, but 100% is what you're trying to achieve.

But the idea that 10% of the volume gives 90% of the flavor is sort of accurate.. assuming you aren't dilluting it with water. Afterall, ethanol is tasteless, so it's that other 10% that is imparting flavor, be it fusel oils, methyl alcohol, or some sort of flavor compound from the mash. Whatever, it's that 10% (in 90% ABV neutral spirits) that's giving you all of the flavor. Normally though, vodkas are cut, roughly 50/50 with water to bring it down to 40% ABV (80 proof). It's just kind of the standard practice.

So the flavors, from one brand of vodka to the next come from two factors: the purity of the "neutral" spirit which is affected by the number of times you distill and what methods you use (pot vs. column); and the type of water since well water, tap water, and spring water all impart different flavors.

If you take a Brita filter and filter vodka, it improves the taste. Seriously. You can filter it up to 8 times and notice the successive improvements. It still won't taste like an ultra premium because Brita won't filter out all the fusels and methyls and other nasties that you can remove by distillation, but it WILL improve the purity of the water and some of those contaminants and therefore create a smoother vodka.

Anyway, yeah... it's just science-lab alcohol combined with water to get down to the right proof.

I've just put in a bid for and electric distiller if I don't get it then I'll build one.
I need to do a lot of reading but I know the stuff I've tasted is smooth.
Not sure about the head in the morning though.

orfy said:
I've just put in a bid for and electric distiller if I don't get it then I'll build one.
I need to do a lot of reading but I know the stuff I've tasted is smooth.
Not sure about the head in the morning though.

Toots post was very correct and as long as you are careful with the process and only use top quality turbo yeasts and nutrients in your wash you will end up with a finished product with less Methanol than you would find in orange juice or shop bought whisky.
Take no notice of the claims that you can produce a 20 % wash in 5 days,double that time and you will get a very clean product for distillation.
Prepare your activated carbon well by soaking with hot water as this will strip a lot of the fusils and off tastes in the online process and do discard at least 10 mil of the heads before you attach your filter as this will make your charcoal last longer.Enjoy yourself its great fun as well as saving a small fortune !!:drunk:

orfy said:
Cheers Vito.

Any tips you have would help. I'll start a thread when I know what kit I'm getting.

The two basic types of still are the pot and the reflux both require seperate heating and constant running water which is noisy and not very friendly on your water rates.Every one I knew in New Zealand had a 50/100 gallon still in their outhouse and would ferment and distill virtually anything that grew but this requires a great deal of expertise and knowledge.

The equipment I use is a very basic converted water distiller with an integrated heater and cooling system which gives me approx 1.4 litres of 45%/55% of very clean neutral spirit from a 4 litre wash in 4 hours,this is production on a small scale but with a bit of forward planning with your wash preparation you can have more than enough liquer to keep your family and friends more than happy over Christmas and New Year and by adding Prestige Essence flavourings you can make any spirit you like.This link explains the equipment and process from A-Z.

Regards:tank: www.easystill.com

Vito, that EasyStill unit looks pretty cool! I'm going to save that off to the favorites if I ever get the bug. I "thought" it was illegal in the US though but they'll sell it to us it appears...

Cheers vito. I have my eyes on an easystill with any luck I'll have may hands on it this week.

If not I think I'm going to got the buckets and heater method. Do you think that'll work?

If I use the easy still should I throw the first portion of the spirit away. I've heard that the methonal is first out and is bad stuff.

orfy said:
Cheers vito. I have my eyes on an easystill with any luck I'll have may hands on it this week.

If not I think I'm going to got the buckets and heater method. Do you think that'll work?

If I use the easy still should I throw the first portion of the spirit away. I've heard that the methonal is first out and is bad stuff.

The bucket and heater method does work as its all the same principle but is labour intensive you have to be careful with your temperatures and cooling to produce a good result.With a sugar wash using a good quality turbo yeast very little Methanol is present but out of force of habit I still discard the first egg cup full of the first off just to be on the safe side, but even if you didnt the amount of Methanol present would be far less than shop bought Whisky or Brandy.
You can buy the Easystill in England for about £150 if thats any help. Cheers.

vito said:
The two basic types of still are the pot and the reflux both require seperate heating and constant running water which is noisy and not very friendly on your water rates.Every one I knew in New Zealand had a 50/100 gallon still in their outhouse and would ferment and distill virtually anything that grew but this requires a great deal of expertise and knowledge.

The equipment I use is a very basic converted water distiller with an integrated heater and cooling system which gives me approx 1.4 litres of 45%/55% of very clean neutral spirit from a 4 litre wash in 4 hours,this is production on a small scale but with a bit of forward planning with your wash preparation you can have more than enough liquer to keep your family and friends more than happy over Christmas and New Year and by adding Prestige Essence flavourings you can make any spirit you like.This link explains the equipment and process from A-Z.

Regards:tank: www.easystill.com

Ohhh.. I see that an american can use the easy still to make "essential oils", eh? :D

orfy said:
A drop goes well with whisky. :tank:

My old man likes bourbon with a bit of club soda. He digs the sparkliness. I tried it but didn't care for the sparkliness. However, water didn't do much for me either. But I'll tell ya, if I'm not drinking it neat, I do like it with some tap water and a tiny, very tiny, very very tiny, pinch of salt. Maybe about 10 grains. It seems to bring out the oak flavor of the bourbon quite well.

Sort of a do-it-yourself mineral water, I suppose.

Latest posts

Back