Tubing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mellow52

Reaction score
Just installed a ball valve in my kettle so the next thing is tubing to drain to my primary from our kitchen gas stove. I have read that thick wall silicone tubing is the best but is there anything at lowes / hd that can be used? I am thinking temperature and food grade is important factors. What is the typical procedure, to leave the hose off during the boil and to only slip it on when I want to transfer? Should I use a hose clamp?

I wish you good luck on you venture. I went down this road and it ended on the internet.

Lowes and hd, at least in my area didn't have anything.

There are venders here that sell silicone tubing by the foot + shipping for cheap (bargain fittings comes to mind); hose clamp not needed if you match up the tubing size to your barb fitting. And yes, attach the tubing AFTER you boil (flame out), especially if you’re using gas. Stick w/food grade – skip hd and lowes; they do not carry such silicone in my area. Also, the silicone usually has a max 10psi rating, which means if you’re using a pump you might want to get the high pressure, high temp, food grade silicone. Cheers,

fbold1 said:
Got my tubing at Lowes, they had all sizes on reels, just cut off what you need. Mine is 3/8" ID x 1/2" OD. It was in the plumbing dept.

I know our Lowes has those same reels of tubing. I am now thinking that after flame out and wort chilled I can safely attach this tubing with no worries about a hot barb. I have read the PVC tubing can go to 170F (silicon over 300F). Only worry I have is the food grade of the lowes tubing. Naturally I will sanitize it but is that enough and is it composition not made for food?

If your wort is cooled (and barb cool to the touch) then you don’t need silicone; but I’d stick w/food grade tubing as it’s all in the name. If not, and If you get sick or a funky growth, let us know :mug:

Edit: PVC is for non-potable water as it releases chemicals which are harmful to people, I’d opt for CPVC

discooby said:
If your wort is cooled (and barb cool to the touch) then you don’t need silicone; but I’d stick w/food grade tubing as it’s all in the name. If not, and If you get sick or a funky growth, let us know :mug:

Edit: PVC is for non-potable water as it releases chemicals which are harmful to people, I’d opt for CPVC

Roger that. Yes for cooled wort only +- 70F. Food grade only is what I will check for.

I been using the clear tubing from blowe's & home cheapo for quite some time. No chemical leaching problems,never got sick,none of that. Just don't use them for boiling hot liquids. That's when you def need the silicone for it's heat resistent qualities. That clear tubing soaks clean pretty easy in some PBW. I even have a small diameter aquarium lift tube brush that can clean the inside of them.

Back