Tubal Ligation or Vasectomy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GilaMinumBeer

Half-fast Prattlarian
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
The wife will be delivering our second in January through a scheduled cesarian section.

We both agree that one of us needs to get fixed.

She says me cause there are "fewer" side effects (from what she's heard).

I say her cause she's gonna be opened up anyways.

+1 for that.

I know a lot of guys that have done that but I still cant imagine someone fishing through my sac with a pair of scissors.

Well, the argument for the vasectomy is that it's cheaper and less invasive than a tubal. However, since she's in the middle of a c-section at the time, it would not add much to the cost, and nothing at all to the recovery time. I think the partner with the less to lose (in working days off, recovery time, pain, etc) should be the one to do it. In most cases, it's the man, but in this case it's definitely her. She should be the one!

I did the Big V since my wife went through labor twice. It's the least I could do. Cost me two $25 co-pays.

It's not a big deal, just make sure you take a Valium before you head in for the procedure.

I would say why don't you both do it? She will be opened up for the c-section anyways, so as Yooper said there is no more risk or increased recovery time for her with the tubal ligation. The vasectomy is a very simple proceedure and shouldnt be a big deal at all compared to what your wife will undergo. If you are both fixed then there will never be any contention between who got it and who didn't, and besides, you can both go through recovery together with the new addition to your family:mug:

Hell, while you are at it, send some busisness my way and I will spay/neuter your pets at the same time! Sterility for everybody!!!!;)

I did the Big V since my wife went through labor twice. It's the least I could do. Cost me two $25 co-pays.

It's not a big deal, just make sure you take a Valium before you head in for the procedure.

I needed more than that, the doctors asst's looked like Playboy models. Needless to say it was hard to stay relaxed;)

My wife and I had this same discussion and we concluded if she needed a C-section it would be her, if not me

The one sticking point is that a vasectomy has a chance for reversal while the tubal ligation does not. If she gets fixed it is pretty much permanent.

+ 2 tho on the idea of both getting fixed. That way you are both in it 100% each.

If she's already on the OR table cut open, there's no more risk associated with it, might as well have her tubes tied. Having said that, I just had a vasectomy 6 weeks ago since my wife went through labor for out 2nd child. The first day was painful, that's about it... recovery was easy, especially the being waited on for two days... :D

If she's already on the OR table cut open, there's no more risk associated with it, might as well have her tubes tied. Having said that, I just had a vasectomy 6 weeks ago since my wife went through labor for out 2nd child. The first day was painful, that's about it... recovery was easy, especially the being waited on for two days... :D

Yeah, but.............he will NOT be waited on! She'll be recovering from a c-section, as well as caring for a brand new baby. She'll quite literally have her hands full!

You should get fixed instead of your old lady, that way you can still get some on the side without knocking someone up. And if she gets preggo, you'll have proof its not yours when you divorce her.

If I was done having kids I would love not to have the ability to get ANY women pregnant.

You should get fixed instead of your old lady, that way you can still get some on the side without knocking someone up. And if she gets preggo, you'll have proof its not yours when you divorce her.

Well, look at the time... I gotta get going now, ya'll have fun here!

From personal experience I'd side with your SWMBO on this one. My SWMBO had a tubal done and she hasn't been exactly the same since. Weird menstrul cycles and more menstrul pain than before. On the same note, they are messing with your boys so.....

elective surgery that i'll pass up every time. suppose you end up in some post apocalyptic scenario, and you are charged with repopulating your tribe. however, you can't 'cause you had yer boys chopped. :D

elective surgery that i'll pass up every time. suppose you end up in some post apocalyptic scenario, and you are charged with repopulating your tribe. however, you can't 'cause you had yer boys chopped. :D

Okay. But, the tribe need not know that tidbit. :D

From personal experience I'd side with your SWMBO on this one. My SWMBO had a tubal done and she hasn't been exactly the same since. Weird menstrul cycles and more menstrul pain than before. On the same note, they are messing with your boys so.....

And on the same note, I have known 1 guy who actually had to have the vasectomy reversed. Not because he wanted to propgate but because the "back pressure" was too painful. A constant sensation of blue balls as it was described to me. Highly unlikely but, as possible as the side effects for the woman.

The one sticking point is that a vasectomy has a chance for reversal while the tubal ligation does not. If she gets fixed it is pretty much permanent.

+ 2 tho on the idea of both getting fixed. That way you are both in it 100% each.

The first bit is not entirely true.

There are procedures for reversal of both scenarios and neither are 100% effective nor will either sex have the same fertility rate post reversal.

the medical industry as of late is adamately suggestiong that either procedure be considered permanent to be considered at all.

And on the same note, I have known 1 guy who actually had to have the vasectomy reversed. Not because he wanted to propgate but because the "back pressure" was too painful. A constant sensation of blue balls as it was described to me. Highly unlikely but, as possible as the side effects for the woman.

I also have a friend with chronic pain since having the bid V. Having it reversed did not help and he has had to go on long term antibiotics (6 months to a year) several times to deal with infections. YMMV.

Paul

I'd agree with Yooper, it's a minimal add to a C-section.

Got cut about 25 years ago & after the smoke cleared, no problems. Scary is when the nurse is trying to position a 500 watt lamp with her elbow! I grabbed it and made the adjustment for her.

I say Dubbel Libation.
dubbel.jpg

If the wife is already in for childbirth, it only makes sense to get her tubes tied while she's in there.

I have no problems with or objections to a vasectomy, however.

No problem. Just tell SWMBO "Hey honey, you know what the doc said. Gotta relieve the pressure on a regular basis. You know once very 4 hours or so."

It's like a prescription. :D

Oh dear god. There is reason and truth in every somewhat crass comment. But I agree with the man doing it. Much less risky, less invasive. And honestly, I dont see a downside to lacking swimmers.

Me neither, but that's the advice I give now. It would have been better with one. :drunk:

I got Valium via IV before mine. They gave me one dose and the nurse came in later and asked if I felt anything. I said no. So she gave me another dose. Turns out she was wanting to know if I could tall if it was working. We still laugh about them having to pick me up off the floor after I dropped while leaving.

My three greatest decisions, in no particular order are switching from briefs to boxers, brewing my own beer and getting a vasectomy.

If she isn't comfortable with having her tubes tied even though she is open, go ahead and have yourself snipped.

She's being cut open to deliver a child. I'm not sure I'd want my wife's OBGYN still fishing around in there after that when I could just as easily do the 10-minute snip procedure. She went through a pair of 24-hour labors. Seems the least I could do.

It was ridiculously easy. Drove myself there. Drove home. Spent the next two days watching horrible TV (kind of redundant) when I really could have gone back to work.

Guys, this doesn't belong in the Debate Forum. Let's leave that for the stuff like politics and religion. I'm moving this to Chit-Chat.

I got tylenol (military was a no frills job)and had a bag of frozen peas standing by.. never needed the peas got it done on Friday and was mowing the lawn Sunday and at work on Monday

Well, the argument for the vasectomy is that it's cheaper and less invasive than a tubal. However, since she's in the middle of a c-section at the time, it would not add much to the cost, and nothing at all to the recovery time. I think the partner with the less to lose (in working days off, recovery time, pain, etc) should be the one to do it. In most cases, it's the man, but in this case it's definitely her. She should be the one!

I agree. She got a tubal while they were delivering our daughter.

Funny we were just talking about this. My sister in law had a c-section yesterday. My Brother is scheduled for his vasectomy next week. My wife looked at me and said 'thats f$%#ed up....' I didnt disagree.

We had this discussion as well, but her Doc said that the first priority was delivering the baby and the Tubal could be done later. After all the surgeries that my wife has had, I figure I can take one for the team.

Funny thing is, my first daughter was conceived IN-Vitro and I figured I would never have to face this decision, but the second daughter came naturally--True Story.

Since she is going to be under and open anyway... That's the truth.

I've had the V done and it's no big deal. Wife took me to the appt. I sit back while the doc tugs my cords, snip and whatnot. He had to use a cauterizer on a stubborn blood vessel (Which I got to keep! YAY!) and then my wife drove me to a brewpub while I sat on an ice pack. I ate a fine meal, and drank a sampler or so and she drove me home.

Yeah, it's a bit sore for a week or so, but nothing major.

Important thing to remember is that you NEED to have a checkup afterwards to verify the procedure. It's very possible for your tubes to connect somehow and you probably don't want that to happen. Trust me. I worked with a guy who had 4 kids and actually got his wife preagant with a 5th after the surgery was not a success. He did not hav eit checked.

I don't face the prospect firsthand, but let me share a little true story here. Shortly after I was born, my father had a vasectomy performed. I also have a sister 10 years younger than me.

They can, and do on occasion, grow back. Having a vasectomy done should not be considered a 100% guarantee.

Latest posts

Back