Trying To Make My Own English Bitter/Pale ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So, after making a handful of batches based on other people's recipes, I decided to embark on making my own. I'm shooting for something in the bitter/pale ale category. I just want to check with someone who's familiar with these ingredients to see if they would have good synergy. So far, I have:
-5 lbs Maris Otter LME
-2 oz. UK Kent Goldings for the full 60 minute boil
-1 oz. Fuggles at the end of the boil
-1 oz. Fuggles dry hopped
-WLP013 London Ale Yeast
-Irish moss (for fining, apparently the yeast I chose doesn't have the best flocculation)

According to the excellent BrewTarget software, my ABV should be about 5% (assuming I read it correctly) and an IBU of about 30 (which kind of gives it attributes of both the bitter and pale ale as per the BJCP guidelines). Anyway, thoughts?

They tend to give a very strong earthy flavor. (think cow pasture)

There was a thread a while back about "least favorite hops" and I'm pretty sure fuggle came up the most

I used fuggles when I started making ESBs (by far my most made style) and I switched to EKG as the finishing hop, never looked back. I made a MO/EKG smash and entered it into a local comp last year and took a gold in the English Pale ale category.

Latest posts

Back